Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about exhaust mandrel bends

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
So I've decided to install dual 3" x pipes but unfortunately no one around here does mandrel bending, only crush.

So now I want to order online ready made mandrel bends. Anyone been through this? Want to know how many and what degrees to order. Car is VZ SS.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just get a pre-made system. Piecing an exhaust together from bends is quite a job that is very time consuming to do it right so everything clears etc. (Used to develop zorsts for a living)

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
This is what I have:

MagnaFlow pressed x-pipe
B00701D5-E0FA-4F29-9B0C-713B86F2F64F.jpg

But this is what I want:
24DE841A-AE66-4E6F-ADF9-46BBA886178A.jpg

The location of the merge point along the exhaust is important btw.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
DLFHUB666... Sorry for not making it clear mate. I'm going to get it custom made, but unfortunately the exhaust shop only crush bends the pipes as they do not have a mandrel bending machine.
So I figured a just get them the mandrel bent elbows (the points where the exhaust pipe bends) and the will put things together.

Reaper... Interesting. The exhaust shop has done hundreds of pre-VE commodores and seemed very confident that he could do it. He drew a diagram and explained everything to me, told my how many elbows and what degrees a will need. I went to him after posting this question by the way.

Do you think it will just be time consuming or that it won't be a perfect of a job either, compared to ready made ones that is

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
DLFHUB666... Sorry for not making it clear mate. I'm going to get it custom made, but unfortunately the exhaust shop only crush bends the pipes as they do not have a mandrel bending machine.
So I figured a just get them the mandrel bent elbows (the points where the exhaust pipe bends) and the will put things together.

Reaper... Interesting. The exhaust shop has done hundreds of pre-VE commodores and seemed very confident that he could do it. He drew a diagram and explained everything to me, told my how many elbows and what degrees a will need. I went to him after posting this question by the way.

Do you think it will just be time consuming or that it won't be a perfect of a job either, compared to ready made ones that is

Nothing is impossible and to some extent it depends on the skills of your exhaust guy. Generally speaking when you are pushing a 3" pipe where a smaller one used to be is going to be a challenge under a car.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Why not just buy a stainless Xforce its tig welded and will (mine did) bolt right up.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
If my exhaust knowledge is correct, I think 3 in pipes is a bit too large unless you have a heavily modified engine.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
You can buy those merges online from Sureflo.

I did. was not dissappointed. full 3" twin system, that is quieter in the car than a single system, but louder outside. I think the heavy wall and better design shift more noise out the back, than letting it escape through the underbody area. But mines not exactly stock...

Sureflo Exhaust