Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about Shock absorbers

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
Hey just a quick question. Ive heard that shortened shocks help with ride quality for lowered cars, interested to know if the shorter shock will make the car sit any lower? it's at the exact height i want it at, and any lower i'll be scraping on my own driveway so I dont really want it to sit any lower

anyone able to answer this?

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
I have shortened shocks in my ute, I didn't notice it drop any lower, but man people say it does. I wouldn't bother changing the shocks untill your stock ones are ####ed, I didn't notice a great deal when I changed mine over, I'm running ultimas if that helps.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Hey just a quick question. Ive heard that shortened shocks help with ride quality for lowered cars, interested to know if the shorter shock will make the car sit any lower? it's at the exact height i want it at, and any lower i'll be scraping on my own driveway so I dont really want it to sit any lower

anyone able to answer this?

Will not alter height at all. It's the internal stroke of the shocker that's shorter.

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
Nixon, how many inches lowered is your car? and is the ride noticably better than stock shocks?
and how much did you pay for your shocks if you dont mind me asking

Will not alter height at all. It's the internal stroke of the shocker that's shorter.

thanks for the reply, looks like thats next on my list lol

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
Nixon, how many inches lowered is your car? and is the ride noticably better than stock shocks?
and how much did you pay for your shocks if you dont mind me asking

thanks for the reply, looks like thats next on my list lol

Couldn't tell you how many inches lower, sssl rear and ssl front, tucks half tyre at rear on 18s. with the shock the only improvement I felt was on big dips in the road it felt smoother. I payed $130 or so for the rear set.

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
7d292186.jpg

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
oh nice, so yeah, that would roughly be same height as mine
so would you recommend shortened shocks? or just wait till mine stuff themselves, because when i bought the car the rear shocks were replaced but didnt plan on lowering the car at that point so didnt get shorter shocks

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
Of you can get them cheap go for it, I still had stock shock for about 12 months before I upgraded them.