Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question for V8 manual drivers - gear changes

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I purchased a new SS sportwagon last October (3500kms) and mine does the same thing. At the 3000km service I pointed this out to the Holden technician only to be told I don't know how to use the clutch properly. I'm 56 years old have owned manual vehicles all my life including 4 SS's, SLR5000, 5.0 SS torana hatch, 4 4wd's and 2 utes. The truth the technician had no idea. At least if it is a potential problem it is recorded with Holden.

Steve

I hope you told the technician the list of cars you've owned as listed here. I'm enveous, gave me a bit of a chubby, it probably would have made the techy piss in his pants lol.

As for spongy brakes, no such problem with the brembos ;)

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Sounds normal to me. Gear box takes about 30 minutes to reach operating temperature.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Compeltly normal from my experiance.
I find the box prefers fast gear changes, as in moving the stick quickly.
If you move it slowly there's two spots it kind of 'grabs' on and you have to use a bit of force to get it into 2nd.

Stig

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Z Series
Hey, I'm 5 Weeks into my SSV Series ,Mines tight as a Fishes Ass also,Hoping it will loosen up soon,Only done 900 Km.

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
My SSV-Z hasnt changed much in the ~2300km I've done on it - 1st-2nd is still a fairly clunky affair. One thing I've noticed that does make the 1st-2nd change smoother is if you wind the RPM out a bit more, rather than shifting into 2nd at very low speed.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Get a RIP shifter, the holden shifter mechanism is a piece of ****. Makes the gearbox heaps nicer.

SQN KTM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Are Ripshifters easy to fit or should you get a workshop to fit it?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
They come with a pretty good set of installation instructions. Only special tools you need are ball tip allen keys ($25 or so) and a set of feeler gauges ($15ish).

If you can pick up a spanner, you can install a RIP shifter.

Have a read of the installation instructions http://www.ripshift.com/rip_install.html

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
Mine was quite hard to shift 1st to 2nd and progressively got harder, to the point where my wife struggled to slot it in. The box also had a rattle to it. 3 lots of different oil and the gearbox out for inspection twice and it still was too tight.

Holden eventually changed the box, and the new one is sweet.