Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

question in regards to my vy v6 air box

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
hi

does anyone know why my 2003 vy lumina keeps breaking the top section of the air box... last one i got was in January now its done it again

thank you

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
more info be good , like is it on lpg , does it backfire , does your bonnet have the rubber stops?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
also is the bottom section mounted properly.

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
My guess would be because it's LPG?
If so, you can buy modified boxes with a butterfly/flap in them that open with excess pressure.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If so, you can buy modified boxes with a butterfly/flap in them that open with excess pressure.

Those products shouldn't exist IMO. There won't be any backfiring if the a/f ratios are correct and the ignition system is up to scratch :)

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
It is on LPG and does have the rubber stops

As for a backfire yes it did but that was a while after I noticed a sucking sound and found it broken...

I glued it back together today and I've not had another backfire hope it will be a temp fix till I can afford to replace it

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim

Sounds interesting I'll have to look at that... I was thinking on mounting a pod filter but if it's excess pressure it may turn into a cannon lol

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Don't replace the airbox before you get the lpg system tuned, and replace the air filter, sparkplugs and leads at a minimum.

Mine used to backfire until I replaced the coils, I ended up going through more air intake pipes than I can count before I figured out the problem. I ended up leaving the hoseclamps on the TB and MAF sensor loose so that the pipe would just come off instead of breaking every time. Never backfired since

Pod filters will still need to be in a box, so that defeats the purpose really - a good panel filter is more than adequate

Ozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim
Forgot to update this thread the lpg backfire was the start of one of the coil packs giving up the fight to live