Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick Heater Vacuum question

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys.

Trying to solve some issues with my heater only blowing to the footwells.

I am tracing the vacuum lines in the engine bay and am following the T Piece.

Where it splits off and heads down the passenger side of the car it disappears into the guard, where does it go from there as I can't seem to find the other end?

And where is it meant to go on the drivers side of the car?

Also I have disconnected the heater tap and bridged the hoses in the engine bay due to a leaking heater core which I won't be able to replace until summer, do the 2 main hoses from the firewall impact on which vents work inside or is it just the little vacuum lines.....as I would still like to be able to use the A/C from all vents until the heat gets fixed

Thanks

Last edited:

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
Hi, the line that runs into the left hand guard goes into a box just behind the front left side of the bumper bar. this box is a vacuum reservoir where it keeps the a reserve of air for the heater/air conditioner mode control. this allows the mode to switch from floor to demist, face level etc, while the engine is under load. If the hose has come off this box or the box is cracked/broken, your mode switch will not operate.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi, the line that runs into the left hand guard goes into a box just behind the front left side of the bumper bar. this box is a vacuum reservoir where it keeps the a reserve of air for the heater/air conditioner mode control. this allows the mode to switch from floor to demist, face level etc, while the engine is under load. If the hose has come off this box or the box is cracked/broken, your mode switch will not operate.

Thanks mate, is this part of the windscreen wiper fluid box/tank down there (labelled VDO)? as I can't see anything else down there.

Does anyone have a pic of this box?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The vacuum reserve tank under the passenger side front guard is a round plastic tank, kinda looks like a black plastic ball. It sits near the washer bottle under there. .The vacuum line connects to the vac reserve tank via a small push on connector on one side of the tank, and it can sometimes fall off.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The vacuum reserve tank under the passenger side front guard is a round plastic tank, kinda looks like a black plastic ball. It sits near the washer bottle under there. .The vacuum line connects to the vac reserve tank via a small push on connector on one side of the tank, and it can sometimes fall off.

Thanks Brett

Will check when I get home, would be nice after a 1.5 year build to finally get the heating/cooling situation sorted hehe

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
Unfortunately, I dont have a picture for it, as my brother owns a VS and I dont have access to it at this time. From what I can recall, the reservoir box is a black box under the left front guard behind the front bumper, it is square shaped on his approx 10cm x 10cm in size. I dont remember if there were any markings or if VDO was stamped on it. I know on the earlier VL-VP series, the reservoir was a ball shape located in the same area as the VS.

In regards to the vacuum line, it runs out the back of the engine to a T piece, one side of the line runs through the firewall and connects to the back of the mode switch on the dash, the other line runs to the vaccum reservoir box previously mentioned.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Unfortunately, I dont have a picture for it, as my brother owns a VS and I dont have access to it at this time. From what I can recall, the reservoir box is a black box under the left front guard behind the front bumper, it is square shaped on his approx 10cm x 10cm in size. I dont remember if there were any markings or if VDO was stamped on it. I know on the earlier VL-VP series, the reservoir was a ball shape located in the same area as the VS.

In regards to the vacuum line, it runs out the back of the engine to a T piece, one side of the line runs through the firewall and connects to the back of the mode switch on the dash, the other line runs to the vaccum reservoir box previously mentioned.

The VS uses the same vacuum reserve tank as the VN, VP VR etc.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Check to see if the little one way valve is in line between the tb and the t piece. If this fails or is in backwards then it wont hold vacuum/allow the vac process to de-pressurise the limes/reseviour

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I would think that you need to replace your vac controller that is below the radio area, if you have climate it is about 10cm long and has 5 vac lines connected to it, if you have the normal control it is round and has different colour lines going to it. This is what controls what air goes where.