Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

quick lsd question

AutoSnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN S2 Exec Wagon
hey guys. im thinkin bout upgradin from my single spinner to lsd. found a mate with a diff. he says its lsd. there are no tags that i can see though..
anyway. it is out of the other car already.

if i spin one hub should the otherside spin too or only if im doing it from the centre?

cheers

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
whether you spin it from the hub or the centre, both wheels should turn in the same direction.

AutoSnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN S2 Exec Wagon
coz i spin it by centre... both spin...
then by hub and only one does and nothin on other side...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The clutches in the LSD will wear out especially if it has had any hard work and then it is just like a conventional diff. This can happen in a very short time.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
I could be wring here... but my understanding is....

Hold One output (Say the left wheel output) and spin the input... either one of 2 things will happen...

1. the opposite output will spin as long as you keep spinning the input... (NON-LSD)
2. same as above but only a for little bit... (hence the term "limited slip") it will get hard to turn without letting the output you are holding spin as well... (LSD)

Unless as stated above by Hako... the LSD is fluffed! ... then it will work like a NON-LSD...

Also, since it is out of the car, you might as well see how much backlash it has???

AutoSnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN S2 Exec Wagon
if the lsd/clutches/cones are roooooted. how much do u think it would be to repair.
as it is a fair cheap diff for 50 bucks.

and backlash????

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
and backlash????

Clunking/meshing of the crown and pinion gears.

No backlash (no clunking) = Too tight...
Large backlash (very clunky) = too loose...
ideal backlash = quiet, smooth running diff.

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
I could be wring here... but my understanding is....

Hold One output (Say the left wheel output) and spin the input... either one of 2 things will happen...

1. the opposite output will spin as long as you keep spinning the input... (NON-LSD)
2. same as above but only a for little bit... (hence the term "limited slip") it will get hard to turn without letting the output you are holding spin as well... (LSD)
I think for a LSD if you spin one side both sould spin and for non LSD if you spin one side the other side is stationary.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
I think for a LSD if you spin one side both sould spin and for non LSD if you spin one side the other side is stationary.

No... Read what I'm saying... NOTE when I say input and output!

In reference to your statement... If you spin an OUTPUT on one side, (assuming the input is held) the other output will spin then opposite way in a NON-LSD. As for an LSD... I am unsure how spinning an output on one side would affect the output on the other side, as I'm not sure how the clutches will react??