Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

race ecotec question

JC89

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 Nissan Patrol
hey guys i am new here so gday.

myself and a mate of mine are looking at getting into drifting but as we are both aussies we want to use an aussie car, so we have decided to go with a vs commodore with an ecotec motor and t5. i know we would prob be better getting a 5lt or a later model v8 but there a bit more pricey as this car will not be regoed and will be a track only set up.

we have been doing some research and have made a small list of modds to start with such as CAI, highflow exhaust, new memcal and a good service and tune up such as new leads plugs belts etc so we dont break or have problems while on the track etc and a few other things.

something i would like to do at a later stage after my mate and myself have learnt to drift and have played around witht the suspension and stuff i would like to do a twin turbo set up. now i do know it has been done as has the single turbo setup, but most that i have read have used the super 6 motor but i am wondering if the standard ecotec pistons would last with a turbo setup on say 7-9psi boost or is it just worth the extra coin to rebiuld the motor and set it up for forced induction?

also any other mods to the motor to start with as an na motor would be good to hear about.

cheers guys

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If U want it to be reliable, rebuild it to suit boost.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Need a decent diff to drift, unless you wanna be like the rest of the mangs doing singles round the track lol
Mass weight reduction, even go as far as losing the heavy stock seats for some brides/recaros or copies of.
Look at a hydraulic handbrake upgrade as you'll stretch the cable on the first day out.
Don't worry about pods or anything gay like that, run the L67 super6 CAI, or better yet do a custom headlight intake...
Lose the cats when you do exhaust.
Also, if you keep popping engines due to oil stavation, I can help you there. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...105681-asr-oilpans-benefits-applications.html

Ben

JC89

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 Nissan Patrol
cheers guys. yeah we were goign to strip the interior and just leave the two front seats in for the time been and sell the other gear. for the diff i was thinking about an lsd from a v8 and also as you have mentioned get a hydro handbrake and plumb it in.

um this may be a stupid question but what is the l67 or is that what the super 6 ecotec is called?

for the CAI i was looking at one of these but it has a pod but yeah: RACE Flow Cold Air Intake for VN-VS Commodores

cheers guys

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
L67 is the supercharged ecotec.

Yeh, that Cai won't give you 15kw lol. If you want to do something like that check out Mace Engineering. He's a site sponsor. He has other v6 performance upgrades and tunes as well.

Also, a decent suspension set up is needed, to alleviate the boat-likeness. White line do a sway at kit for them. Spending money on some decent stiff springs and new shocks would be ideal, better yet a set of adjustable coil overs to set a nice bit of camber up in the front. Also looking into some custom work on the front end to get more lock, can't ever have to much lock when drifting.

Get the suspension set up relatively early, no use learning a car and then changing the way it handles.

Ben

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
for the diff i was thinking about an lsd from a v8 and also as you have mentioned get a hydro handbrake and plumb it in.

for the CAI i was looking at one of these but it has a pod but yeah: RACE Flow Cold Air Intake for VN-VS Commodores

Weld the diff or get a spool. The stock cup and cone LSD's are awful, and second handers are really worn out at this age. Also, 4.11 diff gears will make it a lot easier to break traction and keep the wheels spinning. Get the stiffest springs you can find (stiffest, not necessarily the lowest).

I would avoid V6 Performance, read nothing but bad stories about dealing with them. Don't worry to much about performance, just get out there and have a go. Drifting on low power will make you a better driver because it forces you to rely on technique rather than power. Your list of minor mods seems like a good start to getting better use out of the engine though.

There's a big misconception in Australia that you need heaps of power to be a good drifter, but it's completely the opposite. Many use power to hide a poorly set up car or lack of skill and technique. You'd be surprised at what you can do with 150kw.

Also, maybe get a power steering cooler. The racks in these cars are prone to overheating when under the gun.

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It's a V6 Commodore - Remove as much weight as possible, add spool, lower car, go to track, break stuff, fix stuff, break more stuff, all while learning, then buy better car.....

Last edited:

JC89

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 Nissan Patrol
thanks for the warning about v6 performance RJK, and i didnt expect it to give me exactly 15kw increase as that all depends how the motor is set up and and what other mods have been done to it.

i have been reading up on drifting and how its done and deifferent techniques for a while now just havent had the funds to get a can and have a go as of yet but like everyone things come up and things change.

as for power im not really chasing 300kw just better throttle response and able to carry though a corner.

suspension i was looking at a coilover set from Ksport and i have emailed them just waiting on a reply about some extra info for it. with coilovers do they have caster adjustment or is there andother kit that you need for that?
um by the way how do you get extra lock, do you adjust the stoppers or something else?

cheers

JC89

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 Nissan Patrol
Need a decent diff to drift, unless you wanna be like the rest of the mangs doing singles round the track lol
Mass weight reduction, even go as far as losing the heavy stock seats for some brides/recaros or copies of.
Look at a hydraulic handbrake upgrade as you'll stretch the cable on the first day out.
Don't worry about pods or anything gay like that, run the L67 super6 CAI, or better yet do a custom headlight intake...
Lose the cats when you do exhaust.
Also, if you keep popping engines due to oil stavation, I can help you there. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...105681-asr-oilpans-benefits-applications.html

Ben

hey there ben quick question about them asr oil pans do they bold straight up to the 3.8's or is the some mods needed?

cheers