Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator issues

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
hey guys,

car has been overheating but the temp gauge says everything is ok. about 5 mins after starting the radiator starts steaming, and is really hot. the radiator cap does not heat up at all. there also seems to be a leak from down the top right hand side. any ideas?

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
have your car towed to a decent mechanic to see where the leak is coming. You might have developed some pin hole leaks or hairline fracture leaks which cannot be seen unless they pressure test the radiator. there also the water pump, hoses, heater and thermostats to check. Whatever you do, dont ever drive the car as the temp sensor might be faulty or registering only the temp of the coolant reservoir. If steam is coming out from your engine bay, then its really bad news. i learnt my lesson too late and it cost me a brand new engine and a brand new cooling system.

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
Is there any chance its just the radiator cap?

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
leak is on drivers side or passengers? saying right side depends on which way ur looking at the car , if its drivers side , it could be the heater tap which is near the firewall end of the engine bay on drivers side , its stuck on the side of the wheel arch is the easiest way to say it , , one of the pipes on the heater tap usually crumbles and breaks , its a $25.00 part easy fix , or it could be the inlet tank on the radiator as these are the most common to crack m failing that look at the water pump and see if you can see any stains around it , in fact loook for the stains in the places i told you and come back here or see a mechanic if unsure

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
or as you said it could be the cap not holding pressure and blowing all the coolant into the overflow bottle , which is on the pasengers side