Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator leaking, side tanks help?

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
Yeah I've decided to go with a new one... just a question of which one.

2 places have quoted me $220 for supply of new one. I'm sceptical of something that is half that price (eg ebay ones).

Any opinions?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
2 places have quoted me $220 for supply of new one. I'm sceptical of something that is half that price (eg ebay ones).
Where are you located ?? Someone here might be able to recommend a cheaper place to go to.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where are you located ?? Someone here might be able to recommend a cheaper place to go to.

I'm in Adelaide... NE suburbs. :thumbsup:

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Made a few phone calls... interesting results. These are all for new aluminium / plastic tank radiators, supplied only.

Repco (Modbury) $241
City Auto Parts (Gepps Cross) $220
Holden Hill Radiators $220

and the winner is...

Pooraka Radiators $150 supplied, $250 fully installed with flush etc.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Pooraka Radiators $150 supplied, $250 fully installed with flush etc.

That's a real good price. It sounds like it was worth ringing around.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
to all who may read this, take YOUR radiator to a repairer, they can either plastic weld the crack, or just replace the tank, and flush the unit for cheaper than a new one

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
to all who may read this, take YOUR radiator to a repairer, they can either plastic weld the crack, or just replace the tank, and flush the unit for cheaper than a new one
The guy I took my radiator to that had a cracked plastic side tank said it would work out cheaper to buy a complete new radiator. He said that if it was plastic welded, he could give no garantee that it would not crack soon after putting the radiator back in. And he could just replace the 1 side tank that was cracked, he said the other side may also crack whenever. But the price of replacing both side tanks, flushing and warranty would be the same cost as a new radiator.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
The guy I took my radiator to that had a cracked plastic side tank said it would work out cheaper to buy a complete new radiator. He said that if it was plastic welded, he could give no garantee that it would not crack soon after putting the radiator back in. And he could just replace the 1 side tank that was cracked, he said the other side may also crack whenever. But the price of replacing both side tanks, flushing and warranty would be the same cost as a new radiator.

Exactly my thoughts... $150 for a new radiator with 2yr warranty and peace of mind.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw

Exactly right, i made the decision to replace mine with a genuine replacement radiator with a warranty over getting mine fixed. By replacing it i knew that every part of the radiator was good and that because of this if i looked after it, it would last for years.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
Hmm, yeah, im mainly thinking of my prices, to me at the prices i get, it is much cheaper to have a radiator fixed, most places dont have a huge markup on new units due to competition from repco/bursons etc, but they can charge a bit more freely for repairs i guess, but yes he is right about no guarantee on the old tank that you dont replace, but like has already been said before, is that where most crack is under the top spount, and this is from incorrect removal of the top hose, so if all done right, they shouldnt break