Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radiator Questions

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Hey Hey All,

As some of you may or may not be aware I have been having some overheating issues in my 5ltr SS Commodore of late. Finally I think have may have tracked down the issues to the radiator being blocked (which has been flushed to no avail)... So now the mechanic wants to send my radiator away to get it tested, and refurbished which sounds quiet expensive to me!

Now I am pretty handy with the tools, so a quick squize on the eBay yeilded a few results. Does anyone know what the cheaper alloy core radiators are like?.. I am hoping to get out of this as cheap as I can.

Cheers

-Cul

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
theres lots of chinese/taiwan/etc radiators on the market now , if it looks ok and is priced right give it a go have you tried taking the radiator out urself and taking it toa radiator shop to get pulled apart and cleaned. this involves pulling off the inlet tank and running a rod down the tubes, then it gets pressure blasted out and if need be a new inlet tank and seal is put back on , we do them for about $130-160 at my place depending on what you need , it shouldnt cost you more than that for a simple clean out and new tank, thats for you bringing the radiaor in , not us pulling it out of vehicle , add $40.00 for gen coolant and ur laughing, or as you said , go to ebay and buy a cheap rad for a little more such as this , http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-VT-VX...ZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item51900dd24a
or this one , im not sure what type you got , its best if you do the looking ,
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BNW-RACING-R...ZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efc25874f

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
i done a how to on replacing tanks that would get you started.
You would be able to do it if you have a big arse pressure cleaner or something tiny to get into te cores.

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Cool Cool...

Next question, I know the Series II Gen 3 radiator is different to that of the Series I 5ltr, but will the Ecotec V6 radiator fit the 5ltr? They look remarkably similar in pictures, etc...

SMOTAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
have you tried getting your radiator reconditioned, thats an affordable way to go about cost me $80 to get mine reconditioned.