Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator refill in vy ss

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
hi all, I am changing the water pump in my vy ss, just wondering when refilling it back up with coolant, how do I make sure there is no air in the radiator, I'm use to doin a v6 as they have a bleeder screw, some info on how I'm suppose to refill the cooling system to make sure of no air and what else I need to know, cheers in advance for help

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
just fill up the coolant reservoir on the passenger side strut tower, because its higher than the radiator and motor the air bleeds itself out once the thermostats fully open

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
oh ok cheers for that, also when putting the water pump back on do I need to put water proof sealant on the gaskets or should it be right, all the help on the steps of re installing the water pump would be greatly appreciated, thanks

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Sealant isnt neccessary but certainly wont hurt, we usually chuck some on and it helps keep the gaskets in place when putting the new pump on.

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
thanks for that mate, I haven't got any sealant but I have some loctite will a little but of that be ok just to hold the gaskets in place

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Loctite may actually cause it to leak as it dries differently to sealant.

A tube of sealant should be pretty cheap just tell them what its for and you should get the right stuff...

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
You need to use a non hardening sealant so, so it cannot crack and then cause future leaks, i use it on any paper gasket as i found they just never quite seal.

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
cheers guys thanks for all the help, I should be able to get a tube from super cheap wouldn't I