Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator woes

johnnythaboy

Reaction score
Website
www.holdentuning.co.nz
Members Ride
VN series 1 5spd-tuned by Greenfoam :)
gday, my radiator had a wee leak so i was going to put some stop leak stuff into it. before i did i gave the cooling system a good flush. that made the dribble turn into a nasty waterfall. waste of time tipping stop leak in there now. im thinking it had a hole and the old owner put stop leak in and when i flushed it out today with some isopropyl i cleaned the gunge blocking the hole.
anyway, its pouring out from in between the side tank and the main peice with the fins. has anybody taken a side tank off and refitted it? is there just a seal there that could have blown? im also wondering what sort of tool would be needed to bend all those tabs.
or should i take the radiator to a speciallist?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Your better off buying a new radiator. Not worth trying to repair it.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
Your better off buying a new radiator. Not worth trying to repair it.

listen to this man. it will cost you more to repair than to get a new one, have a look on ebay u can pick brand neweies up for aorund the 120 mark.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i had a split in one of the header tanks, replaced the whole thing for an ebay cheapie cost me ~120 bucks and about half an hour, and i did a flush of the engine at the same time.

that was a year or so ago, no dramas since.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Yeh, buy one from Ebay and you should be right, I've had to replace mine because of a cracked side tank as well, cost me $108 with postage and that's with a two year guarantee as well

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you selling holden tunes in nz as holdentuning.++.++ not a copy of greenfoams tune is it.are you selling tunes found on the net some of those tunes are a bit dodgy to be selling to the public for $250.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
where do you live dude? You can buy brand new aftermarket radiators from the local wreckers here in brisbane southside. I know, cos i had a leak in the side tank where the fan attaches. Now 1 year later no problems. BUT LET ME WARN YOU. I see some aftermarket radiatiors that are almost 1cm less depth. I think thats a lot to lose.