Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Random Shudder when slowing down from speed....

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Hey guys,

Just been having this issue for the last few days now... When I'm above speeds of 110km/hour and go to slow down the whole car starts to shudder.. I thought maybe a wheel alignment might be in order?
Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Brake pads could be on the way out.

Rotors might need machining.

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Even when not using the brakes though? Sorry I probably should have said it's not just when braking, as an example.. Speed up to say 130km/h then just let the throttle off and let it glide down... It starts to shudder.

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Could be a wheel balance issue or an alignment issue

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
IMHO, if it was wheel balance or tailshaft balance or faulty tyres or a warped wheel on the car you would not ONLY get the vibration when coasting and decelerating. You should also notice it when the vehicle was under power and running the same speeds when the coasting vibration cuts in.
Out of balance wheels, for example, do not stop vibrating when you change from coasting to power. They are either out of balance and vibrating in particular speed ranges or they are balanced and not vibrating in those speed ranges.

(It is most unlikely that the vibration described when coasting/decelerating has anything to do with wheel alignment as such) .

Rotate the back wheels to the front and fronts to the rear and see if there is any difference. No harm in doing a re-balance of the wheels either but I doubt there will be any difference if the problem you described ONLY occurs when you are off the accelerator and the car is coasting/decelerating.

What work or modifications have you had done on the car recently, if any?

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Nah all I've done is added subs. The issue was happening before I changed the tension pulleys in the engine.

But wasn't happening last week.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I seem to remember a similar thread from a member in the usa recently. Could be caused by worn bushes in suspension or steering