Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rare/Weird holdens

Mr Irony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
I recall reading that the reinforcement needed on the FE's was around the rear window. Early test models had problems with body flexing and the windows would pop out, so additional reinforcing was added prior to release. I don't think other rear end reinforcement was involved so I'm not sure that any FE's were available to the public with a "weak" rear end.

I believe some were sold. Undoubtedly recalled and repaired before very long too. It was a bit of talk about the place in the late fifties.

Re the S4's. I believe they only had sintered brake linings and wider drums, not discs and that the transmission was the standard 3 speed with heavier cluster gear and other bits. If I have my facts correct, until the S4 was released, the EH 179 could only be purchased as an automatic because the old three speeder from the EJ lacked the strength to live behind the 179.

Yeah, I know that. Though I'm not sure about that cluster gear. Main point is that the stories you hear so commonly from 'know it all' people today always include these incorrect 'facts'.

At the time the 179 was officially said to have been unavailable as a manual because of production limitations on the bigger engine. The EJ box, of course, was a one-piece iron casting for the bellhousing and main section, so it was never seen on an EH. Early, possibly all, EHs has noise in the gearbox, my dad's brand new 149 did for a certainty.

The first four speed wasn't released until early 1967 in the upgraded HR, at the same time as the 186X2 was replaced by the 186S and it was an Opel box, which showed itself to be very weak in normal use. It certainly wouldn't have held up to racing conditions. In fact, if you are talking about rare Holdens with the combination of options, then an HR 186S Premier with factory four speed would be a very rare animal indeed.

So too would an HR van with a 4-speed. Ever seen or heard of one of them?

My wife was working for a man who owned a carpet shop and needed a van, he wanted an HR but wanted a 4-speed and the dealer said he couldn't have one as they weren't optioned on HRs. They got me to write GM-H a letter pleading the case, including citing the fact that his driveway was steep and his '48 Buick was okay on it but the lower first gear of the 4-speed would be necessary for him to readily use an HR van.

He got it. Check around and see if you can find that one.

And has anyone mentioned the GT-X (is that what it was?) show car?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I
At the time the 179 was officially said to have been unavailable as a manual because of production limitations on the bigger engine. The EJ box, of course, was a one-piece iron casting for the bellhousing and main section, so it was never seen on an EH. Early, possibly all, EHs has noise in the gearbox, my dad's brand new 149 did for a certainty.

And has anyone mentioned the GT-X (is that what it was?) show car?

The EJ actually introduced the two piece transmission, with the alloy side cover and separate alloy bell housing. Prior to that, the single piece trans housing required a small removable hatch in the transmission tunnel to let you get at the two top bolts in the bell housing - that hatch was left out of the EJ onwards because of the separate bell housing. The gears and ratios remaine the same as the EK etc.

Reading my reference book, the S4 had a beefed up clutch, larger tailshaft, upgraded 3 speeder and nodular iron diff housing. They had the sintered brake linings, power booster and larger fuel tank. 120 were built.

The GTR-X Torana might be what you are referring to. A real lost opportunity for the General to make a world beater for that time.

Mr Irony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Don't forget the added fuel tank capacity (12 gallons instead of 8.6 or something) *edit. and I see you didn't!... and the external rear vision mirror as standard!

Sorry about the EJ box details, I was sure they had the old iron case still... shows I've haven't worked on one for years.

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN exec project vh in the shed
how about the HB torana brabham 1% of the 180 series 1 HB's had the brabham options

spunoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
rare FACTORY Holdens....?

without going back to stuff like S4s ;)
there is
VB SL/E 308 packs..308 4 speed manuals (about 50 in total)
VK Berlina 304 V5H 4 speed manuals (about 6 made)..only 1 with a sunroof
VC SL 5 litre 4 speed manual......WAGON (ONE only)

how do I know?
I had one of each :)
the wagon was specially built while I worked at GMH as was the Berlina

and some myths....
the turbo 6 UC toranas were never built in the factory
no IRS HDT Holden was built in the factory
no A9X Toranas got a special 308 out of the factory
the Adayer 2 door Commodores were not factory made
there never was a VD Commodore...but there was a VC with a bodgy VIN tag
that looked like it said VD
does anyone have info about the donor panels origin for the adayer conversion ?

i hear its a rekord, but i cannot find a 2 door rekord anywhere on the net.
any help would be appreciated.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Didn't the panels come from an Opel Monza? One of these:

OpelMonza.jpg