Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle in the console of my Auto VX- is this normal?

madcapmagician

Phatburger fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Berlina 3.8
Every one I've been in does it. Mine doesn't anymore :) I fixed it by pulling the console out - did the dash as well but that's another story... and acquired a roll of adhesive-backed foam from bunnings - about 6 bucks and went mad with it and some zippy ties. Anything that looked like it moved far enough to contact anything else - wiring mainly - I wrapped with foam and put foam on the edge of the transmission shifter surround. Got to be a bit careful how far you cover the edge, if you cover to far you will see the foam when you put the console back on. Just right and you don't see it and you don't get that annoying noise. I also find that the antenna cable at the back of the stereo is another prime candidate for rattles - very easy to fix. Also the trip computer switch block - also easy to sort once the dash is out. Those clips that hold the console down around the transmission selector are notorious for breaking when you remove the console so BE CAREFUL. If one breaks, you will have just created more rattles.