Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB26dett In Hr Holden

skitzone80b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr executive
Excellent rant btw. Okay one I'm a holden man all the way, jap crap is what I was raised saying and to be honest I've seen more Japanese cars that should be put in an art exhibit then the road. And really if just that upsets you the way I talk about cars then what help are you in the first place? And secondly yes I have, I have toasted more Tyres then you've had hot dates, on the street and off (my conviction list will prove). I'm more comfortable drifting a car that weights close to 2000kg the some little buzz box. Sure it mite not be the easier way but that's my "zone" and I'm sticking to it. Thirdly I never mentioned 20-30 grand nor a "Frankenstein" drift car. And FYI it's not a ute. Thanks for you so positive input enjoy your Vr commie.

My vr's a daily I own 8 cars lol. And I'm sorry about the rant it's just nothing worse then hearing someone speak about cars as if they're a piece of **** and then ask how you put on of their motors into one of their cars. You'd want to spend 20-30k to turn a HR into a decent drift car, harnesses, seats, roll bar, engine,brakes and suspension it all seems to add up at the end of the day. What tracks have you drifted and what were you in? And good on you for drifting two tonne cars I can't stand skidding that much weight.

H8 5 OH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Ssv Commodore / Hr Holden
I'll just see what happens, lost interest in this post... not much help going on here.. cheers anyways

jock lodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
HR Holden
Already done

I'll just see what happens, lost interest in this post... not much help going on here.. cheers anyways

Mate my Hr has a RB25 turboed, droped it in about 4 years ago. my son is a machanic who did the conversion. it fits like a glove, just modified the sump, shortened the tail shaft, its running skyline 5 speed box, still got banjo diff (will change later), seems to handle it alright. stiffened up front brakes ( HQ and LH disks and stub axles). It goes hard, turns heads at car shows , have only had 3 people in all the time that disliked it. everyone else loves it, something different, it still looks like a stock HR, but sounds like a worked 186. Im a bit slow on the computer, so if you contact me it might take a few days to repley. Good luck with the conversion, you wont regret it.

jock lodge

Reaction score
Members Ride
HR Holden
Mate already done, I have a HR with an RB25 with Turbo, already in , done about 4 years ago. It goes hard, looks great, all feed back barring a couple was preety good. Mods are modified sump, shortened tail shaft, 5 speed skyline box, HQ/LH breaks/stub axels, looks and goes great. go for it, you wont regret it. My son did all the work, cost roughly $5500.00. + $1000.00 for other stuff. if interested let me know.

boganc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
yer good conversion as im doing a 2jz into a hd ute and theres a lot more work having the exhaust driver side u may get away with standard steering box or rear mount rack search the forums theres a lot rb powered early holdens from what ive seen u need a 3litre rb patrol sump ,engine mounts of the shelf from the rod shop and mod your standard gearbox crossmember and tunnel if u go 5 speed u should have no problem if your good on the welder to make it happen for around $5000 and use volvo 240 diff dana30 if staying with early stud as there strong and have disc brakes and right width

H8 5 OH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Jock Lodge, thanks for the reply! sounds like the go. What sort of power are you making do you know? I've just got it up to pass Rego. once its passed the pits I'll look at modifying further. mine has the standard drum brakes and the 2 speed power glide but im keen to swap them all out and have a quick classic. have you got any pictures of it?

Cheers!

H8 5 OH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Boganc, I was thinking of going with the 2jz still debating which way to go. I want at least 500rwhp and simple set up. How long till yours is up and running?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
my aim is for a roadworthy reliable drift car, silly i know but i want a classic with a jap engine that is as quick around a corner sideways and just at home on the targa rally.

mpower - yeah it does sound wrong fitting an engine like that, but i want the power without the weight of a big v8. And i would really like to use this car instead of buying one of those ricers.. whats your plans for your HR?

This is probably the worst car I can think of for drifting. Anything else will be miles ahead in terms of suspension design and handling (particularly given that the front looks like it has no way to adjust castor). Custom parts will be a nightmare to find if anything breaks (and it will).

You don't need big power to slide. Kinda over people thinking they need 1000hp to think they can drive properly instead of focusing on their technique. If you can make a 120kw RB20 look like it's got 250kw, you're doing something right. Doing a giant 500hp powerslide isn't drifting. You'll be a better driver for learning with low power.

Just so you know too, an LS1 is lighter than an RB25 or a 2JZ, and will probably be cheaper and easier to get power out of without the lag of some huge turbo. Hell, maybe even look into a 1UZ V8.