Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Programming VT Commodore Key

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Yep, I just used needle nose pliers to roll the spot welded contacts off the battery, then straighten them out a little and put the new battery in, ensuring there's some waviness in the contacts so when the new shell goes around it that it forces the contacts onto the battery, screw it shut, takes less than a minute of no power to the key to get it done and mine fully worked afterwards, hasn't failed me after many years so far, don't know if leaving it longer without power matters but less than a minute didn't affect it, next time it's a $2 job, just a battery.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I buy brand new genuine blank keyfobs from ebay and I program them myself with my tech 1 or tech 2 scantool.. I also do this service for free for any JC member in my area that owns a commodore, they just gotta supply the new blank key and security code..(I get them to enter their own security code themselves so I dont see it).. I use the Tech1 for my VS and Tech2 for my VY. These are the exact same scantools that holden dealers use and program keys with. Basically you just put a new blank keyfob in the ignition, enter the vehicles security code into the scantool, and it programmes the new blank keyfob to the vehicle. No encoder needed or transferring of codes or starting the engine and running it etc etc, although yes, they can also be programmed by transferring the code as well, but you need a working keyfob to copy the info from in the first place, so thats no good if you've lost your keys or if the board or chip is damaged...
As for them losing their programming, Ive got 3 old keys here Ive had for over 5 years that ive removed the batteries from, and they all still disarm the immobiliser and allow the vehicle to start, so no, they don't lose their programming unless the chip or board gets wet or otherwise damaged..
Ive also replaced the batteries in them before, 30 seconds with a soldering iron and its done..
On a different note, any JC member in my area can contact me and get free scantool diags done with tech1 and tech2.. Gotta love these people who buy a cheap $300 tech2 kit and want to charge everyone a fortune for a diagnostic check or some other simple task.. They must think theyre a holden dealership..(cant stand greedy people)

OK, learning all the way. Thanks for that.
Went via a reputable Locksmith who insisted today that these remotes aren't able to be opened. How do you open them? I used a blade and it was tough work. They don't seem to pop open and it definitely had a moulded seal all round. What location are you? (Melb metro)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
They don't just "come open easily ", they are not even meant to be opened, theyre only for single use and are supposed to be replaced once the battery is flat or theyre worn out or whatever. But because of the cost of new fobs plus programming, a lot of people just break them open, replace the flat battery and glue them back together again, which works fine and saves cash......

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
OK, learning all the way. Thanks for that.
Went via a reputable Locksmith who insisted today that these remotes aren't able to be opened. How do you open them? I used a blade and it was tough work. They don't seem to pop open and it definitely had a moulded seal all round. What location are you? (Melb metro)
I found the best choice here was to pry the buggers open, and replace the now "slightly damaged" ouside casing with a cheapo $4 case on fleabay. You can even replace the rubber buttons as the same time while your there for a brand new key feel. I personally have done this on my spare key and a mates.

They don't just "come open easily ", they are not even meant to be opened, theyre only for single use and are supposed to be replaced once the battery is flat or theyre worn out or whatever. But because of the cost of new fobs plus programming, a lot of people just break them open, replace the flat battery and glue them back together again, which works fine and saves cash......
Im seeing more and more people grabbing old keys , replacing its data storage and then reprogramming the key. Simply to reduce costs and also to resell the keys as "new" with new case and buttons.

Those wonder how ebay sellers sell keys for "30-40" each, its because they are not new. They are refurbished second hand keys with new cases and buttons. Even aliexpress doesnt wholesale our keys below $40 each!.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Genuine Commodore VR VS VT VX VY VZ 3 Button Remote KEY | eBay
Yeah, I only buy these genuine ones sealed in bags from holden, mostly they cost around $50 to $60 with free shipping, but they are sometimes on there for $40 to $50 on special.. I haven't ran across any refurbished ones that are sealed in the bags, and I wouldn't buy any of the other cheaper "non genuine" ones that don't come sealed up......

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Genuine Commodore VR VS VT VX VY VZ 3 Button Remote KEY | eBay
Yeah, I only buy these genuine ones sealed in bags from holden, mostly they cost around $50 to $60 with free shipping, but they are sometimes on there for $40 to $50 on special.. I haven't ran across any refurbished ones that are sealed in the bags, and I wouldn't buy any of the other cheaper "non genuine" ones that don't come sealed up......
Yep they look like the good ones. The dodgy ones (although work 100%) have the chip replaced. They do work although the batteries dont ever seem to be replaced. Iv seen them 4 or 5 times now with clients having issues with there remotes (no battery), if the damn battery were replaced too.. they would be perfect.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Yep they look like the good ones. The dodgy ones (although work 100%) have the chip replaced. They do work although the batteries dont ever seem to be replaced. Iv seen them 4 or 5 times now with clients having issues with there remotes (no battery), if the damn battery were replaced too.. they would be perfect.

It amazes me that Holden in particular can source products for the factory line whether it be Eurovox radios or remote keys which they probably pay $100 and $10 respectively, allow the supplier to push 500 a day through for 10 years, then push the price up for spares to $1000 a radio and $180 a remote key when the supply drops to the line. I am guessing it is the suppliers that go high price for low quantity.

I will give another example. Map pockets on VT-VX do not take mapbooks. They break. Solution? During the production run you could buy a repair kit from Holden for $25. They are now $125 because they don't lock the supplier in. They now source in low run quantites from another supplier and you pay the price. Solution is to buy the two plastic seat back clips, "break" the seat back clips, repair the pocket yourself and reinstall new clips. Save $120.

The remotes should have been made with a removable back. The battery can be bought at any $2 shop. The blade doesn't wear out nor the PCB. Just the battery. At least they made it replaceable in the VE. Same battery. Probably same PCB in a different shape.

Paid $110 each yesterday for a genuine VT and a VZ remote. Both are the same remote but the VZ programs up differently.

Locksmith takes code from old remote, programs laser cutter that cuts new key from program rather than old key. Programs remote with VT or VZ software.

Open car with new key, not with remote as it won't work yet. Place in ignition, start and run above 2,500 rpm for 30 seconds. Stop car. Get out and try all remote buttons.

On the VZ they need to know what number keys you have as the key is programmed number 1, number 2 etc. They can read it from the old remote anyway. If you happen to take number 1 key in for copying then call the new key number 2 then go home and find a second key that is already number 2, then the number 2's (ha ha) will work alternately, i.e the first number 2 will work, the second one won't. But when you use the second key in the ignition it will re-activate the remote and then the first number 2 won't work again, so make sure if you have two keys already call the next ones 3,4 etc.....

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The workshop I use has the software to access the keys data from the computer in the car, which is what Holden Dealers do, he was programming 2 new keys for a WH Statesman the other day when I was in there, not sure if it makes any difference which way it is done, his price was about the same price as the local locksmith.
I am still using my original keys that came with the car when I bought it new back in 2001, they still seem to be working fine except for the stuffed rubber buttons.
The keys have had very little use though as the car has only done 84K in 13 years so I guess that is why the keys are still working ok, must get around to getting a couple of new ones though.

Brett23101961

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Berlina series 2 Gen 3
Thanks for the info on programming key fob mate. It works a treat. Thank you.