Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-trim leather wheel and seat tear on SS

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi Guys,

• The leather on my steering wheel has deterioriatede badly nad is pitted. Can this be fixed or re-trimmed? Know any good places/people? $500is is a new wheel from Holden (YUCK!).
  • Secondly, the bolstered side on the driver's seat has a small tear (on the black fabric). Can this be repaired? I cannot afford a new seat and cannot afford to have seat covers as they look ****! Also the foam is not as perky as it once used to be, can this be re done as well?
Thanks heaps!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Garfa

A good auto upholsterer should be able to repair the seat by replacing that section of the cover which is damaged, provided the matching cloth is still available. It usually is for late models.

They might be able to re-cover the wheel, too. You need only to ask. Price? No idea, it will depend on the amoun t of work involved, but if you have a back up car, you can save a bit by pulling out the seat and the wheel and just handing them over, rather than having them spend their time removing and installing.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Steering wheel- cheaper to buy a good second hand one on ebay. Very hard to get a good recover job & stitching on steering wheels

Seat- I have same problem on my Anthracite Leather driver seat door side squab split about 100mm long.. Rang an uphosterer , he told me that this leather is almost unprocurable & cost would end up being the same as a whole new leather seat back from GMH (about $800) . So I bought a leather needle & thread from a saddlery & stiched it up myself!!!!! Cost , about $6. You hardly notice it now , the stitching almost matches the current seams..... :bomb:

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
One way to help the leather steering wheels stay in good nick is to rub a decent hand moisturiser into it.

It may sound stupid, I thought it was the first time I saw my boss doing it. But it keeps the steering wheel in good condition.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
There are interior leather protectants available for this sort of issue.

Im not sure about hand moisturizer but you can keep using it.

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hi Guys,

• The leather on my steering wheel has deterioriatede badly nad is pitted. Can this be fixed or re-trimmed? Know any good places/people? $500is is a new wheel from Holden (YUCK!).
  • Secondly, the bolstered side on the driver's seat has a small tear (on the black fabric). Can this be repaired? I cannot afford a new seat and cannot afford to have seat covers as they look ****! Also the foam is not as perky as it once used to be, can this be re done as well?
Thanks heaps!

I've got the cloth black trims off my ss seats when i got my leather put in laying around if your interested. Taking up room in the shed.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes please
I gather they are black with the middle being black again?
How much would you want for them?

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Yeah they are full black trim, both front seats. I can send them COD to you, just pay the postage mate and that'll do.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Wow... thanks.

PM sent with address...