Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Realising V6 Performance Potential

MyStreetCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
Hi Forum readers,

Thought you may be interested in checking out my VS Commodore V6 build up. I have a web site: www.mystreetcar.com.au....... The entire build, starting from the car purchase and proposed build specification has been posted. I am doing this project from just simply having a real love for Commodores and a particular interest in the development of the V6 engine. This is a completely self funded project and it is costing me a small fortune...!!! I am a mechanic by trade who has a passion for his work and hope that this project may help others contemplating a similar build up. All engine work has basically been completed and I am presently working on upgrading the vehicles chassis dynamics. There seems to be a rapidly growing interest in the developement of the Holden V6. I would love know your thoughts and stories of other V6 builds and development

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Good read. I'm interseted in what your HP is now after the rebuild and cam selection. Also looking forward to see what you do with the Auto and suspension side of things.

Did you use DB1331HD pads? Because another option is the DB1344 if they make them in HD's. Stacks more surface area then the 1331's.

Jezz

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the retarded timing of the factory cam is a very interesting point to note. altering cam timing has a big effect on the powerband. this could possibly explain why many people have noted poor results when fitting stage2/3 cams if they may have possibly used standard replacement timing chain sets etc. your other mods pacies, 2 1/2" zorst super 6 CAI are fairly standard to many members rides on this site. did you increase the CR when you modded the heads to suit the larger cam or have you retained the factory CR ratio?

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
the retarded timing of the factory cam is a very interesting point to note. altering cam timing has a big effect on the powerband. this could possibly explain why many people have noted poor results when fitting stage2/3 cams if they may have possibly used standard replacement timing chain sets etc. your other mods pacies, 2 1/2" zorst super 6 CAI are fairly standard to many members rides on this site. did you increase the CR when you modded the heads to suit the larger cam or have you retained the factory CR ratio?

Does anyone dial cams in anymore i went to repco to buy a wheel and was laughed at and was told that was old news but i found one at rocket and dialed it in with a roller master gear and if left stock it would ahve been out and i would have less power.

lxhatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais, mitz triton
Does anyone dial cams in anymore i went to repco to buy a wheel and was laughed at and was told that was old news but i found one at rocket and dialed it in with a roller master gear and if left stock it would ahve been out and i would have less power.

repco are pricks!!!! dialing in a cam is the best way to get the potential out of a cam..........

geeez i dislike them!!!!!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

i never rely on andvice from repco and i pity those that do cause they certainly give out the wrong info all the time, i do own a degree wheel and associated equipment to do these things properly. however most poeple would just replace there standard timing chains thinking holden had set it a 0degrees to begin with. i wonder what a standard cam would run like retimed to 0 degrees????

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
i wonder what a standard cam would run like retimed to 0 degrees????

My mate has done it to every ecotech he's owned and to give you an indication, my VT without cam correction, had 1.8:1 roller rockers, CAI, K&N panel filter, Extractors, and 2.5" exhaust Vs a VU ute with K&N filter, and corrected cam only where dead even down the 1/4 at 15.7 sec.

While my car does 15.3 now, I still haven't had the cam changed because I think that if I'm going to go to that trouble I'll replace the cam with a better one.

Jezz.

MyStreetCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
Thats interesting to hear your feed back on cam timing. Degreeing the cam for this engine really did leave me wondering what was going on........?? I couldn't quite believe my results. I do beleive + 6 degrees was a little on the excessive side however, I was using good measuring equipment, I knew what I was doing was correct and the results were exact every time. (@ +6 the cam timing only just met the cam card specification leaving me wondering if taking it all the way to + 8 may have yeilded a better result. Who knows...?? I am on L plates like most of us, just exploring the potential of this great little engine). Perhaps the retarded cam timing was factory built into these engine as a means to detune the motor for your average grampa driver and also maybe to achieve emmision requirements...??? I think all person who are now playing with these engine would agree that these engine will stand up and deliver with very limited modifications. The engine in My Street Car is just basically a standard motor with a cam upgrade. All other modification just being external. The results from this upgrade has blown me away, the car just hammers...!!! It has already callapsed the drivers side engine mount and takes very little effort to light up very sticky Michelin tyres. It certainly seems now good advice that cam degreeing must not be overlooked when upgrading the Holden V6. Its certainly now common knowledge that high ratio rockers are a very popular engine modification yeilding worthwhile power gains at a low cost and time imput. I wonder just how much extra power could be gained with the standard camshaft set + 4-6 degrees advanced in conjunction with high ratio rockers...??? Perhaps FIT may have researched this option or wish to comment on this modification combination....!!

Cheers

Peter

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
My mate has done it to every ecotech he's owned and to give you an indication, my VT without cam correction, had 1.8:1 roller rockers, CAI, K&N panel filter, Extractors, and 2.5" exhaust Vs a VU ute with K&N filter, and corrected cam only where dead even down the 1/4 at 15.7 sec.

we know that on a VY with just 1.97 rockers and exhaust is worth 20rwkw, so to allow for the 1.8 rockers and to be a little conservative we'll say maybe 12-15rwkw. so we gotta figure the cam timing adjustment gotta give somewhere around the same power gain etc. for a $100 adjustable roller timing chain set it's got to be the cheapest power Vs $ mod to be done to the ecotec

Thats interesting to hear your feed back on cam timing. Degreeing the cam for this engine really did leave me wondering what was going on........?? I couldn't quite believe my results. I do beleive + 6 degrees was a little on the excessive side however, I was using good measuring equipment, I knew what I was doing was correct and the results were exact every time. (@ +6 the cam timing only just met the cam card specification leaving me wondering if taking it all the way to + 8 may have yeilded a better result. Who knows...?? I am on L plates like most of us, just exploring the potential of this great little engine). Perhaps the retarded cam timing was factory built into these engine as a means to detune the motor for your average grampa driver and also maybe to achieve emmision requirements...??? I think all person who are now playing with these engine would agree that these engine will stand up and deliver with very limited modifications. The engine in My Street Car is just basically a standard motor with a cam upgrade. All other modification just being external. The results from this upgrade has blown me away, the car just hammers...!!! It has already callapsed the drivers side engine mount and takes very little effort to light up very sticky Michelin tyres. It certainly seems now good advice that cam degreeing must not be overlooked when upgrading the Holden V6. Its certainly now common knowledge that high ratio rockers are a very popular engine modification yeilding worthwhile power gains at a low cost and time imput. I wonder just how much extra power could be gained with the standard camshaft set + 4-6 degrees advanced in conjunction with high ratio rockers...??? Perhaps FIT may have researched this option or wish to comment on this modification combination....!!

i congratulate you on this little bit of wisdom, i would've expected cam timing to be out +/- 2 degrees from factory. 6 is just mind bogling. it's been on the back of my mind for the past few days and i can't see a legitimate reason for doing it, not to that extreme anyways. if your intending to go the high ratio rocker route i recomend the Yella Terra 1.95:1 ultralite's. not quite the 1.97 ratio of the FIT job but all the benefits of a true roller rocker and cheaper also. it may also pay to check with both YT and CROW to check what the max rocker ratio can be used with the stage 3 cam to prevent valve spring coil bind etc:thumbsup: