Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Really, really need your help guys!! Cleaned the lifters but engine still ticking!!

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
it seems like you haven't done your homework, that's what the internet is for, you can source parts from USA, etc and have them shipped
how many KM's has the car travelled ?????

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
anyone ever heard of ls7 lifters??

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
You said "Why cant you buy them here for like $120 and have them shipped? Whats the problem?" To which i replied asking you to tell me where i could get them for $120. I never said anything about shipping either. Just simply asking you to tell me where the $120-lifters are...you know, the ones you were talking about.
And then you stared talking about lifters from mace for $250. But i'm sorry, i didnt know you were talking out your a**. No worries mate. I'll check out mace.

Ok, youre going around in circles. Ive taken the liberty of doing the research YOU should have done, but what would i know, i talk out my ass... If you want good lifters get Crow. If you want stock replacements get these Melling Factory Hydraulic Roller Lifters JB-2079 - SummitRacing.com. If price is really an issue (Which is what i think youre getting at) they have even cheaper ones on the same site ($7ea?). Want me to come over there and put them in for you too?

Last edited:

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Ok, youre going around in circles. Ive taken the liberty of doing the research YOU should have done, but what would i know, i talk out my ass... If you want good lifters get Crow. If you want stock replacements get these Melling Factory Hydraulic Roller Lifters JB-2079 - SummitRacing.com. If price is really an issue (Which is what i think youre getting at) they have even cheaper ones on the same site ($7ea?).

"I" am going around in circles? lol.
Anyways, thanks mate! But i thought they were over there
Why cant you buy them here for like $120 and have them shipped?
...these are shipped from the states. Oh well. At least you tried.

Want me to come over there and put them in for you too?
Would you?! That would be awesome!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I just want to know why you thought cleaning them would stop them from ticking?

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
10 characters.

Last edited:

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I just want to know why you thought cleaning them would stop them from ticking?

Because lifters get sticky or clog. And clogged/sticky lifters will tick, cleaning them will unclog/unstick them...hence stop the ticking. Also that's what i was advised by several mechanics.

Although initially i took them out to inspect them. But they looked perfectly O.K. So then i went about cleaning them. My brother used to have the same problem on his dodge charger, i remember he took it to this workshop and had his lifters cleaned. I can't remember if it solved the problem though, but i don't remember him complaining afterwards. I might call him to check if it worked.

But yeah, when you get noisy lifters, it is first recommended to change to thinner oil (synthetic nowadays i guess). If that didn't work, then do an engine flush with some flushing oil to get the dirt out and unclog the lifters....then run thinner oil. If that didn't work then you should remove the lifters and clean them. I guess now i'm at a stage where i should replace them since all those steps didn't work...haven't tried synthetic oil though...just slightly thinner oil. Might give that a shot and see if solves the problem.
Honestly though, i feel that it might be something else...the lifters looked perfectly fine inside out. And if they are not sticking....then i'm not sure why they would tick.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
The noise of a ticking lifter can also come from worn rocker gear, weak or broken springs and damaged push rods.