Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Brake upgrade to 2014 SSV Redline Series 1

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm another who thinks Brembos sure look purdy.

But it does make me ponder why many go fast car manufacturers have their own company logo on the outside of calipers and you need to look at the inside to see if they are branded Brembo.

Where Holden left you in no doubt, which says to me it was a marketing exercise and not necessarily needed for safety.

They are only entry level Brembos in any case.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm another who thinks Brembos sure look purdy.

But it does make me ponder why many go fast car manufacturers have their own company logo on the outside of calipers and you need to look at the inside to see if they are branded Brembo.

Where Holden left you in no doubt, which says to me it was a marketing exercise and not necessarily needed for safety.
In terms of brand perception, I'd suggest Ferrari > Brembo and Porsche > Brembo.
However Brembo > Holden.
The manufacturer just goes with whatever they think looks more impressive, and that's regardless of whatever the mechanical functionality is.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
In terms of brand perception, I'd suggest Ferrari > Brembo and Porsche > Brembo.
However Brembo > Holden.
The manufacturer just goes with whatever they think looks more impressive, and that's regardless of whatever the mechanical functionality is.

there's a certain point where the brake is at a level that's acceptable adding the branding is a nice bonus.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
there's a certain point where the brake is at a level that's acceptable adding the branding is a nice bonus.
For a low-volume manufacturer (admittedly still trying to run like a volume manufacturer) such as Holden, there’s also probably a certain point of performance where it’s cheaper to buy off-the-shelf than to develop something themselves. I guess it’s chicken-and-egg … the marketing positive to Holden of having Brembo badging on the Commodore brakes, but also, the fact of those marketing advantages meaning they probably didn’t have any similar-performance brakes they could access from the GM parts-bin … anything else GM’s selling that’s got any performancey aspirations is likely to be Brembo or AP or something else out of a 3rd-party cattledog.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
However Brembo > Holden.

My AMG & BMW has Brembos but you need to look at the back of the caliper to see the brand name, the front has the company names.

Holden should have gone 6 piston, now that would have looked more impressive.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
FFS anybody would think you are the only person to have ever been near a car.

Is there a point to all this?

You are like a celibate priest pontificating about f*cking
To carry on with your analogy, one could ask whether you are a non celebrate catholic priest with a penchant for young boys?

Seriously, in your first post you asked if there is any point to rear Brembos on your modded car.

On a road car, the answer is “no“. I’ve tried to elaborate why that may be and in this last post by using the article you linked to (which you presumably linked to because it justifies your preconceived ideas that rear Brembos will somehow make you stop on a dime).

Seems that if you don’t like an answer that causes you to confront you set view… you retort with insults.

The truth is that Brembos are really a upsold fashion dressing on road cars (and there is nothing wrong with that). That brake upsell is even more evident on EV’s which can be made to stop using regenerative braking alone (just as aggressively as their crazy rates of acceleration) :rolleyes:

So if you don’t really want to have a discussion about yje merits of adding rear Brembos, it’d be better to keep your insults to yourself and if you don’t like my posts, just ignore them ;)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
My AMG & BMW has Brembos but you need to look at the back of the caliper to see the brand name, the front has the company names.

they saved the 6 piston for the big kahuna, the W1.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can't tell it's 6-pot without pulling it apart, how's that gonna sell new cars in a dealership?!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You can't tell it's 6-pot without pulling it apart, how's that gonna sell new cars in a dealership?!

I can clearly see the difference without disassembling them.

1676866912245.jpeg

1676866930145.jpeg

1676867100023.jpeg

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Those AMG & BMW brakes have had shapes designed into them to make it apparent if you know what you're looking for ... and in my opinion, almost zero% buyers will know to look for it.

The Commodore Brembos notsomuch, and the Cadillac Brembos same-same:
40a3f0b175df1fab71c50430b53cdab6