Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear brakes running hot on VZ wagon

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
Hi guys have just come back from a 25km drive, and once the car was in the garage there was a very apparent hot paint smell (I have painted hubs and callipers) upon completing the sniff test & back of hand test the rear wheels are considerably hotter than the front. I haven't had any work done on the brakes but I have been driving on dirt roads a lot recently do the commodores have a brake bias valve? I was thinking this might be choked up with crap causing the rear brakes to work more than they should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Could be sticking slide pins not allowing the caliper to release after hopping off the brakes.
were the pads replaced the same time front and rear? If so check that the pads have worn evenly front and rear.

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
Yeah the rears were replaced at the same time as the front. Both rear wheels felt as hot as each other if it is the self adjusters strange that they'd both start showing symptoms at the same time. Which is why I thought of the weight sensing valve.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
sorry no idea if they have one or where its located

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Extremely unlikely that anything has or could enter into the brake bias valve - unless someone had dismantled it. Having been on gravel/dirt roads it's not uncommon for a small stone to be thrown up by the tyres and lodging in the brake mechanicals. Suggest you remove the wheels and have a really good look for any such 'intruders'. Good luck.

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
Is your handbrake releasing enough not to drag ?

I've done a roll-by a brick wall listening for rubbing, none is apparent, also no smell of hot friction material. I'll get the thing in the air in the morning and have a proper look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I used to think the same thing with mine but without the paint smell.

Turned out I was worried over nothing it was just the vented front rotors cool faster than the solid rear rotors, so when I was checking the fronts had cooled while the rears were still very hot.

What paint did you use on the caliper and rotors? If its not high heat paint would explain the smell.

Other than that I would be checking the caliper slides. Just jack it up and see if the wheels spins freely. Note to chock the front wheels as you'll need it in neutral and handbrake released. There will always be a little bit of resistance but shouldn't be alot to make spinning the wheel difficult.

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
So I had a quick look this morning, and it appears the hand brake is binding a little bit. It's due for a service anyway so ill get it booked in next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD