Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear demister broken

CJY92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi Guys
Getting the tint done on the rear of my car cause there was little bit of fluff/hair on the window which has caused little bubbles, the tint that was on the car was of really bad quality and removing it damaged my rear demister only 2-3 lines work on the window.
was told the only way to fix it was to replace the rear window(obrien quoted me $580 to replace the window) im not interested in spending that type of money to fix it as i am yet to use the demister.
Has anyone used the rear demister repair kits you can pick up from jaycar, and how do they look from the outside?
what are some good wreckers around western Sydney that I could get a rear window from?
Thanks

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
its not just the demister, its the electronic aerial too. most people dont know that the radio has two aerials... the one that sticks out of the roof and the one splayed over the rear window in conjunction with the rear demister. very sensitive area to be playing around with (and costly if damaged).

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Really? a second aerial? for what use is it?

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
The rear demister repair kit has silver conductive paint in it. It does work, but it's a bitch to get the thin lines even when masking it up, and you have to clean any tarnish off the existing wires to get good contact. I'd go with this if there was only one or two repairs (check with a meter first). For more than this, I'd get a used screen from the wreckers...

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
You have to think outside the box on this one, get a ho with big titties to rub her maps all over your rear window when it fogs up. Its cheaper, unless you plan on feeding and breeding. If so go back to plan A and replace the rear demister.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
Really? a second aerial? for what use is it?

i was reading through my manual the other day (waiting for mrs as usual), and it mentioned that the rear window has an incorporated aerial along with the rear demister (in addition to the roof aerial). the radio then uses 'both' aerials to determine best reception and will use the one with the best signal. i'll have a look at manual tonight and post any more info, but definitely there. i know.... sounds weird, but if its in manual its gotta be accurate right?

IceyAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series II Sedan
i was reading through my manual the other day (waiting for mrs as usual), and it mentioned that the rear window has an incorporated aerial along with the rear demister (in addition to the roof aerial). the radio then uses 'both' aerials to determine best reception and will use the one with the best signal. i'll have a look at manual tonight and post any more info, but definitely there. i know.... sounds weird, but if its in manual its gotta be accurate right?

I know fords have this, but in my S2 mentions nothing

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here we go:

Page 1B-52 of manual.... "Diversity Antenna" (crap name :)).

The Diveristy Antenna improves FM reception under multipath conditions and is an integral part of the rear window assembly. The thin conductors that form the antenna are laid on the inside of glass in the same manner as the heated rear window elements. The radio receives signals from both the the diversity antenna and the conventional antenna. Internal circuitry within the radio decides which antenna is located in the cleaner signal area, and then uses that antenna for its radio reception. When the vehicle is in motion, the radio constantly monitors the inputs from both antennas and swaps between them in order to maintain the best possible reception.

There's more.... but my fingers are already bleeding from typing so much ;).

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
Summarised....

* If roof antenna is faulty or disconnected, radio may not use either aerial and poor reception will result.

* Take care cleaning inside window bla bla bla

* Dont put mobile phone antennas on rear window because of interference

* NO Window tinting reccomended. Metalic significantly affects AM & FM bands, and normal dye based tint affects FM bands.

No more typing, that's about it.
Just to compare, my manual is (c)2009 for the MY10 VE. Print 2. Part# 92239592 (on back of front cover)