Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Electric Window Problem, Urgent

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
Hi Guys
2002 VX2 exec
My rear drivers side electric window wont go up or down, I have checked all posts I can find on the subject
Two causes commented on are,
1/ Wires between pillar and door within rubber boot, These all appear fine.
2/ Cables that operate the up/down movement of the window, may be a possibility or contributing factor.

This is an issue when using both front console and door switches (front console switch has been pulled down and thoroughly cleaned
but seeing its with both switches that kind of eliminates switches as a cause, when operating both switches you hear a dull click from the
drivers side rear door (the one with the faulty window)
What it really feels like is the window being stuck in the rails/frame has anyone come across this before.
This would explain the dull click as though due to the window being stuck the electric motor cant open it.

This is a real concern as I need to get a safety cert as planning on selling this car in a few weeks to upgrade to maybe a VZ with lower klms
with a window not working this is a problem that may get in the way of selling., I have the door card off at the moment and stuck as to what to try next.
the window in closed and wont budge at all, it use to work one day it just stopped working.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
If the rear swiches are faulty this can cause the rear's to not work, even when using the front swich.

Maby while you have the trim off, Get in there and try to get as much lue in there as possible, and try free it up using you're hand's while using the swich, It just might need a bit of persuasion and lube.

Just double check that the rear swiches are working. becuase even know the front swich is working, if the rear's arnt this can make the front useless for the rear. sorry this may be confusing.

But if it just stopped, It may not be siezed, if it were to sieze up you would have noticed it getting slower and slower. Have you had a look at the 2 wire connection's on the motor's?

Everything is worth a look over.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your quick responce Ill take the back switch apart and clean it up
while you can get your fingers in and feel some of the cable it doesnt move at
all so lube wouldnt do much untill its actually moving the two wires going into the motor
look fine ill try a multi meter on them and see what I find, thanks for your suggestions very handy.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update:
Ok I pull the switch apart and cleaned up the contacts and rocker plates and reassembled they
were pretty dirty but this wasnt the problem, I tested the power to the switch and one wire had power
I then tested the power to the motor plug(two wires) with the multi meter, when operating the switch
one way 12.xx volts when pressing the switch the other way -12.xx volts so all good there which leaves the problem
in the motor or mechanism seeing it gives the dull click when using the switch (front or back switch) it seems as though
the prob is with the actual mechanism, any further ideas would be appreciated, I dont really want to drill out the rivets to
take out the mechanism at this stage untill I have new rivets and maybe a new mechanism/motor assembly from a wrecker
so I can put it straight back together.

How hard is it to disconnect reconnect the mechanism/motor assembly from the bottom of the window???

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I believe to remove the motor from the rest you have to remove the whole kit out of the door, Otherwise you cant access it propley.
That will require drilling.

There really isent much you can do other than try free it up while its still in the door, Thats if it's siezed/stuck.

Im thinkin that it's the mechanism that's siezed, Becuase if it was the motor that was buggerd it probably wouldent even 'click', It would just do nothing.

You will have to somehow figgure out weather it's the motor that is worn or if it's the whole mechansim that is jammed/siezed. Then go from there.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your responce Ill track down some of the correct sized rivets then give it a go, the motor/mechanism isnt to bad a price from the wreckers
($50) but will hold of buying one till getting the old one out to ensure what the problem is, does anyone know how the mechanism attaches to the bottom of the window
and if this is easily detached, I looked in a manual and it says very little and the picture shown is no help at all, I saw another post by accentstencil where he posted a diagram but it was a from mechanism
I might message him and see if he has a diagram of the rear window setup

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I think new regulator (mechanism) would be the go. I am having the exact same problem with the same symptoms on my VS at the moment, but with the passenger side rear, just havent got around to putting a new one in yet. The regulator is actually really easy to get in and out, just drill the rivets out, and then just have to work it's way out, it is only attached to the windows by like a slide, that go in rails on the window if that makes sense, just have to slide it out side ways. Most rivets work as well, mine have about 3 different sizes in them lol, its not a real specific thing. You will work it out no worries

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Here is the wiring diagram you PM'd me for. I can't seem to attach it to a PM so I have posted it here. It shows front and rear windows.

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 7,390

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well replaced the rear right electric window regulator this afternoon
that went well, $50 for a second hand one from Southport wreckers
so all fixed now, my todo list is getting shorter by the day.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Well replaced the rear right electric window regulator this afternoon
that went well, $50 for a second hand one from Southport wreckers
so all fixed now, my todo list is getting shorter by the day.

Good Stuff!
Im dreading the day i have to do it, Just hope it's not while i have the car.
Just not an appeling job.