Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear End noise

cjcrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hey people, just wondering if you can help me out. I have a 98 VT, i have it lowered with Koni shocks and Lovell springs, as well as a camber kit. My question is, can lowering it throw the alignment of the tail shaft out? I have this noise, and this may sound weird but its the only way I can describe it, it sounds like a wheel when it is out of shape and not round! Haha. It is there at lowere speeds and gets more noticeable at higher sppeds. Doesnt affect take-off, cornering etc

Anyway cant be the tyres or wheels as they are brand new, it isnt the brakes or pads as they are new as well. I am thinking its diff, drivetrain or something around there. Just wanting to get some ideas before I take it somewhere to get it looked over.

Cherrs

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
lowering wont affect the tailshaft on an irs car as its in a fixed position,

described it like a wheel bearing, does the pitch change when you swerve the car? if the noise gets quieter when you swerve the bearing thats stuffed is on the opposite side to the one you've swerved, also check movement in the bearing,

if in doubt go to a mechanic

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
this noise indicates worn or fault suspesion components check and change if faulty.
the things you need to have checked are that
1. control arm bushings (may be worn)
2. suspesion test (press down on suspension and see how quickly it bounces back if it bounces back quickly then your shocks are ok if they are really slow they need replacing.
3. check rear end alignment

cjcrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Cheers for your help guys. fitz_vt, cant be the suspension as all the compenents in the suspension are new, only had them about 2 months. Its just annoying cos I notice the noise now every time I drive it. O dont think its doing any dtremental damage, I hope.

Im hoping that its just something to do with the camber in the car.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Cheers for your help guys. fitz_vt, cant be the suspension as all the compenents in the suspension are new, only had them about 2 months. Its just annoying cos I notice the noise now every time I drive it. O dont think its doing any dtremental damage, I hope.

Im hoping that its just something to do with the camber in the car.

yeah definately if not take it back to the place you brought your suspension from and get them to check it over (its still under warranty right)

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
hey dude,
had same problem with my car, like ticking noise, was the CV boots needed repacking. hope this helps. let me know if you need more info

madcapmagician

Phatburger fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Berlina 3.8
Hi

I've had a rear-end knocking noise in my VXII berlina for years. Holden replaced the diff 4 times under warranty thinking it was that but it did not fix the problem. New shocks were fitted - no change. About a month ago the rear right shock started making horrible noises - turned out the bottom bolt had worked loose. Funny thing was, tightening it back up with the rattle gun, we noticed that the bolt didn't run smoothly in the thread - like it was binding inside. At maximum tightening, we don't believe the bolt has tightened against the sleeve so much as binding up the thread. The washer only just is held firm, giving the impression that the bolt is tight, but after driving for a few k's the noise comes back and it is the tiniest, tiniest bit of play at the bottom the shock. I'm really worried now about getting the bolt out - the bolt itself is no problem - $3.50 for a new one, but if the lower control arm is stuffed, that's gonna hurt.

If it turns out that I can't get the bolt out without destroying the thread in the control arm, I'm going to try drilling it out to 15mm and cutting a new thread and getting a bolt to suit.

Has anyone ever found out what the bottom bolt (part number 92036304) actually is? It is the weirdest size - very close to 9/16, but it isn't SAE, isn't metric, isn't whitworth - it is some weird size and it has an even weirder thread. Would love to know what it is....

Cheers
Pete

azzaVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon S1
Seems to be common enough to call this a design/manufacture fault... mine went bung in the same way too. Was fixed by drilling the hole all the way through and inserting a longer bolt with a nut on the other side. Not elligant, but works fine. Option would be to helicoil (helical thread fixer upper) it.

Hi

I've had a rear-end knocking noise in my VXII berlina for years. Holden replaced the diff 4 times under warranty thinking it was that but it did not fix the problem. New shocks were fitted - no change. About a month ago the rear right shock started making horrible noises - turned out the bottom bolt had worked loose. Funny thing was, tightening it back up with the rattle gun, we noticed that the bolt didn't run smoothly in the thread - like it was binding inside. At maximum tightening, we don't believe the bolt has tightened against the sleeve so much as binding up the thread. The washer only just is held firm, giving the impression that the bolt is tight, but after driving for a few k's the noise comes back and it is the tiniest, tiniest bit of play at the bottom the shock. I'm really worried now about getting the bolt out - the bolt itself is no problem - $3.50 for a new one, but if the lower control arm is stuffed, that's gonna hurt.

If it turns out that I can't get the bolt out without destroying the thread in the control arm, I'm going to try drilling it out to 15mm and cutting a new thread and getting a bolt to suit.

Has anyone ever found out what the bottom bolt (part number 92036304) actually is? It is the weirdest size - very close to 9/16, but it isn't SAE, isn't metric, isn't whitworth - it is some weird size and it has an even weirder thread. Would love to know what it is....

Cheers
Pete

azzaVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon S1
What will effect the tailshaft geometry is your engine mounts. My 98 VT has saggy ones, being changed soon, and the sump is mer millimetres from the crossmember. This could equate to a fair change of possition/angle at the back of the transmission.

Another option is that your tailshaft isn't balance well. Check it for tar spots, clumps of body deadner, etc, anything that wasn't welded to it before it was ready for painting at the factory.

Hey people, just wondering if you can help me out. I have a 98 VT, i have it lowered with Koni shocks and Lovell springs, as well as a camber kit. My question is, can lowering it throw the alignment of the tail shaft out? I have this noise, and this may sound weird but its the only way I can describe it, it sounds like a wheel when it is out of shape and not round! Haha. It is there at lowere speeds and gets more noticeable at higher sppeds. Doesnt affect take-off, cornering etc

Anyway cant be the tyres or wheels as they are brand new, it isnt the brakes or pads as they are new as well. I am thinking its diff, drivetrain or something around there. Just wanting to get some ideas before I take it somewhere to get it looked over.

Cherrs

cjcrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hey people, just an update, the noise wasn't actually coming from the rear, it was just resonating through the car and sounding like that (i feel like a dick!!). Anyway the front drivers side wheel bearing is gone, i'm getting it done on friday morning. I will update you all on how it comes out. Thanks everyone for their help, much appreciated!!