Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Left Tyre worn evenly to 40% while others are 80% with only 20000 km on the care

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
Hi there,

VE Commodore - V-Series (Special that run which is Omgea with Alliy wheels & rear spoiler)

I have taken the car back after the 2nd service in 2 years with only 20000km on the clock to have the 'dead battery' issue looked at & also why the Left rear wheel has worn down evenly to 40% whilst the others has 80% thread left.

Has anybody come accross these problemss?
1. Dead battery / car not starting in mornings
2. Left Rear tyre worn out evenly.

The dealers told me to leave the car for 2 full days to have the battery drained and recharged and have the software upgraded.

They are now dropping the rear suspension to have a look at the wheel alignment, however refuse as this stage to replace the tyre. Any ideas on how I can approach them for a replacement?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems this is the only place I'll get real answers

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Regarding the tyre wear:

It sounds like an alignment or suspension problem. Unfortunately because it's a warranty issue, you have to get Holden to fix it, but I'd go to a reputable suspension/wheel alignment place and get their opinion. They should be able to diagnose it easily and then you can go back to Holden and let them know what the problem is.

...And they should definitiely pay for a new tyre if it was caused by faulty components / workmanship. Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
I had the same problem with a Holden Astra a year or two ago. The passenger side rear tyre was approx 10 mm forward than the drivers side rear (crabbing)

I took it to Holden and they said they found no problems with the rear suspension and that Astra's did not have any adjustments and that it quite possible that it had been hit in the rear at some stage which was causing the problem.

So I took it to a panel beater to get his opionon, he said the car was as stock and true as it come off the factory line. He mentioned to take it to Pedders Suspensions.

So I did and within an hour the Pedders Team found they could adjust the whole rear suspension by undoing two bolts on each side to move the suspension back into line. They said the car had been put together that way from Holden.

So the moral of the story is, keep getting advice until your satisfied with the answer to your problem.

houdini_007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE (V-Series) Omega with alloy wheels & rear spoil
Thank you very much guys .. I am waiting for the dealer to call me so I can pick the car up. I will keep you updated on their feedback.

I think for peace of mind, I'll take it to Peddlers anyway. A second opinion won't hurt.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
my other VE, the V-Series Omega did the rear tyres in about 35,000 k's, they did a rear wheel camber adjustment and fixed it. It's been an issue with ALL commodores since they started using IRS. I have had a camber kit fitter to my VP and also a VS Statesman that i owned. Luckily, the camber on the VE is adjustable. As for the battery, do you leave your radio on for extended periods? i ran mine one day for a few hours while i polished the SS and when i started it, it went into low battery mode.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
my other VE, the V-Series Omega did the rear tyres in about 35,000 k's, they did a rear wheel camber adjustment and fixed it. It's been an issue with ALL commodores since they started using IRS. I have had a camber kit fitter to my VP and also a VS Statesman that i owned. Luckily, the camber on the VE is adjustable.

Hunter, I don't think his issue is camber related. He has only one tyre wearing evenly but much faster than the others, as opposed to both rear tyres wearing unevenly on the inside.
I think policehoon may have nailed it with the "crabbing" suggestion.

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
You haven't been doing peg leg skids have you? haha

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
You haven't been doing peg leg skids have you? haha

nah but the blokes @ holden probably have..... :) - maybe they can even it up a bit this time around?

joking - but I would never have thought that an 'alignment' issue would result in even wear of a tyre? - i mean if it's rolling at an odd angle to the road to cause wear, you think it'd wear an edge or something first? - or at least moreso than the rest of the tyre.

odd - will be keen to hear what they found.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
one rear tyre on a car without an lsd will generally wear a tyre faster when not rotated,

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Hunter, I don't think his issue is camber related. He has only one tyre wearing evenly but much faster than the others, as opposed to both rear tyres wearing unevenly on the inside.
I think policehoon may have nailed it with the "crabbing" suggestion.

good point.... but it would still lead to alignment issues. It's one of the things that Holden still hasn't got right, and that's issues with the IRS.