Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

REAR MAIN SEAL LEAK

Jimma61

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu ute
I'm just guessing I have a rear main seal leak as I've looked under the car and there is all all down the transmission, I've driven it for months like this so I would say it isn't serious. My question is what are people's thoughts on stop rear main seal leak additive for my next oil change will it do the job as I don't have enough money to replace a new rear main seal or don't see any point if the car is 16years old.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Give the Nulon Engine Stop Leak a try, we add a bottle to the oil at every oil change and no leaks ever.
The first bottle it takes around 14 days or 500ks to take effect but well worth the wait.
Would be interesting to see if it would work on a nasty rear main seal leak.

Attachments

• Nulon Engine Stop Leak.jpg
    Nulon Engine Stop Leak.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
Don't worry about it unless you are topping off the oil often or you are messing up the driveway/garage floor. Stop leak.....won't hurt it but as usual the smaller the leak the more effective they are. Could also consider using a heavier grade oil in an old Commy, 20W50/60, thicker oil leaks less.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I'm just guessing I have a rear main seal leak as I've looked under the car and there is all all down the transmission, I've driven it for months like this so I would say it isn't serious. My question is what are people's thoughts on stop rear main seal leak additive for my next oil change will it do the job as I don't have enough money to replace a new rear main seal or don't see any point if the car is 16years old.

It's your car and you can put what you want in it and live with the results but I would.........

1. Never use a stop leak product in your engine oil. These materials contain solids and you don't ever want solids floating around in your engine oil potentially blocking engine lubrication orifices. (If they did not contain solids the stop leak product would just flow out with the engine oil through the leak area).

2. Continue to use the GM recommended oil for the engine and keep topping it up. If the leak gets very bad you are going to have to attend to it. Don't use a heavy viscosity engine oil to try and mask the problem as this will simply impair the lubrication process in your engine.

Lucky you don't live in NSW where they have mandatory annual registration road worthy checks for 5 yo plus vehicles and where the underside of the vehicle is supposed to be thoroughly checked.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Me to love the Nulon Stop Leak, an amazing product. I'd give the product a try because its never had any negative affect on my engines or differentials.