Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear muffler removal

chromic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 E2 R8 Maloo, 05 VZ CV8 Monaro, 96 VS V6 Ute
How do I remove the rear muffler on my vr v6 wagon? I hafe to replace it to pass rego as the one on it now has a hole in it.

I have taken off the two bolts avove the diff and I have taken the rubber bands off at the tailpipe.

Do I have to remove the panhard rod or fuel tank or can I just jack it up, put the wagon on stands to give me more room to move the exhaust as it is stuck between the panhard rod and the fuel tank.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Na king just do this, do you have a good jack? jack the body (not the car) by the tow ball joint (tounge) to lift the body away from the diff to give you that gap, twist and turn to get it out, a scissor jack or kangaroo jack may be sufficent, though I used a workshop trolly jack, good luck.
To refit use the jack to do the same thing and when you`ve done that use the jack to lift the resinator (muffler part) to the required hieght whilst you fit the rubbers, then do up your bolts.

coasty

the voices told me to
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe & vt berlina both v6
i just took it to an exhaust place. $50 and he put a straight through on it. still legal just a bit louder

chromic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 E2 R8 Maloo, 05 VZ CV8 Monaro, 96 VS V6 Ute
Na king just do this, do you have a good jack? jack the body (not the car) by the tow ball joint (tounge) to lift the body away from the diff to give you that gap, twist and turn to get it out, a scissor jack or kangaroo jack may be sufficent, though I used a workshop trolly jack, good luck.
To refit use the jack to do the same thing and when you`ve done that use the jack to lift the resinator (muffler part) to the required hieght whilst you fit the rubbers, then do up your bolts.

Worked a treat, managed to do it with a scissor jack. Thanks! :thumbsup: