Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Tow Hook

ejukated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais L67
Has anyone fitted a rear tow hook for track days? Which part of the chassis did you mount it?

Just got back from a Supersprint and got warned about not having a rear tow hook...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Like the point to attach ropes/chains on a trailer?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I'd say to tow it off the track if it breaks down or crashes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does or did the car have a tow bar? If so, use the original tow bar bracket under the rear of the boot to mount said tow hook.

If not, pop the boot and have a look down the rear panel, you'll see a short diagonal brace from the boot floor to the rear panel. I think that would be a reasonable place to run a tow hook from. Jut make sure you fit a decent size plate behind the panel to spread the load. 3-4mm thick plate 75-100 mm square should be more than enough I think to reinforce.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I have no idea about a VR-VS Commodore but on my VC on the rhs there is a V shaped tow bracket which has always been acceptable to scrutineers. If yours has a similar tow point just place a TOW sticker indicating it's location.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yeah i realise that nut kracker, but the factory points under the car in front of the diff are solid enough to tow with (been there, done that)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Probably would be ok on a passenger car.
But C.A.M.S. or what ever regulative organisation, probably require a dedicated and specified towing point.
It's the 4X4 tie down points that people use for recovery operations that bust off. Gotta laugh at that :rofl2:

ejukated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais L67
thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah its a CAMS reg to have front and rear tow points for speedy/safe recovery. The front tie down points on the VS were acceptable to the scrutineers but I also need rear ones.

Will checkout the suggestions, no tow bar fitted but will probably have to replicate at least part of it to make a tow point.