Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear window tinting issues

Nate07

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF SV6 UTE
Hi all,

I'e recently got my VF sv6 ute tinted by solar tint and the rear window was awful has lots of dust in it. I've taken it back and although it is better this time there is again a fair few dust circles throughut the tint. They told me it' hard because of the head board of the roof. Has anyone else had a same issue? I just don't want to continue to take it back if it can't be done.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Beacuse of what ?!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Tinter is useless

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Beacuse of what ?!

head board of cat , WTF ?? , that's an original excuse .
meldrew.jpg

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Hi all,

I'e recently got my VF sv6 ute tinted by solar tint and the rear window was awful has lots of dust in it. I've taken it back and although it is better this time there is again a fair few dust circles throughut the tint. They told me it' hard because of the head board of the roof. Has anyone else had a same issue? I just don't want to continue to take it back if it can't be done.
It couldn’t be done by me but I’m not a tinter....nor is your guy by the sound of it. Ask for your money back & go to someone who knows what they are doing. Our VF2 SV6 ute was done by Opticoat without any problems but I would expect any tinter should be able to manage it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I haven't had any problems with the tint on the back window (or elsewhere) on my VF2 GTS, installed by Tint-a-Car in North Melbourne. However, from my observation, the quality of rear window tints seems to be very problematical. The tint on Toyota cars seems to be particularly bad.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Had my last VF and current VF tinted by two different local blokes - no issues on the back window at all, sounds like tinter is just hopeless

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
I would've thought the rear window in the sedan was more problematic - I can barely reach mine to clean it. Had the rear window redone on my VR, VS and VE - all sh1t jobs with bubbles - I think the black dots around the edges don't help either. They always say the bubbles will disappear over time - total BS.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
tinter is beyond useless.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I would've thought the rear window in the sedan was more problematic - I can barely reach mine to clean it. Had the rear window redone on my VR, VS and VE - all sh1t jobs with bubbles - I think the black dots around the edges don't help either. They always say the bubbles will disappear over time - total BS.
Any tiny bubbles through the non-dot regions of the tint should disappear over the first few days...otherwise take it back to be done properly.
The exception is the black dots. Opticoat had no problems with the VF2 ute. We had another company do Modesta on the VF2 SS Wagon (just to try something different not that we were unhappy with Opticoat). Now the wagon has considerably more glass (and black dots) than the ute of course & without me asking the question when I booked it in, the guy said you do realise there will likely be some small bubbles amongst the dots - which I expected ...but very few as it turned out & really unnoticeable amongst the dots unless you are looking to find them.
But yes, if the tinter says all bubbles amongst the dots will disappear over time then I wouldn’t believe it.