Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

** Rebuilding a Stroked/Turbo VT Ecotec **

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
They are blanks used during assembly of the engine at the Holden factory. Whilst been worked on the engine gets trundled around on what Holden calls a "pallet" along a conveyor line. At various stages it even gets picked up and rotated to different orientations e.g. when the piston get stuffed the block sits on its' end but when the heads are going on afterwards it will be on its base without a sump at that stage. I was there when the ecotec was been built, I should know

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
a couple of blokes at work have been using supercheap rattle guns, worth about 20 bucks and while they refuse to undo stubborn flywheel bolts (on a truck mind you lol) they're pretty beefy little guns despite what you might think... Rattle guns are a must even in the shed i reckon... I use mine at work everyday

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
So do Welch plugs go in them? How do I block them off?

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
a couple of blokes at work have been using supercheap rattle guns, worth about 20 bucks and while they refuse to undo stubborn flywheel bolts (on a truck mind you lol) they're pretty beefy little guns despite what you might think... Rattle guns are a must even in the shed i reckon... I use mine at work everyday

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
lol my bad @ double post

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
???????????

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Couple of comments..

I wouldn't use a 2 into 1 intercooler. essentially if there is any imbalance in turbo pressure between the 2 turbos, the intercooler plenum will allow the pressure streams to mix and cause turbulence. I would be using a Y pipe, of such a shape that the plenum in which they meet is very small, for absolute minimum turbulence.

Personally I don't like intercoolers. They make the inlet tract long and complex, which means it's alwasy ineffecient and lossy. I would be considering a 50 50 water meth injection system. Probably only need a single 0.7 mm spray nozzle @ 70 psi to do handle both.

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
Couple of comments..

I wouldn't use a 2 into 1 intercooler. essentially if there is any imbalance in turbo pressure between the 2 turbos, the intercooler plenum will allow the pressure streams to mix and cause turbulence. I would be using a Y pipe, of such a shape that the plenum in which they meet is very small, for absolute minimum turbulence.

Personally I don't like intercoolers. They make the inlet tract long and complex, which means it's alwasy ineffecient and lossy. I would be considering a 50 50 water meth injection system. Probably only need a single 0.7 mm spray nozzle @ 70 psi to do handle both.

no idea lol

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
@tsunamix, an intercooler is so much easier to setup, less hardware to have adjusted, more consistant as there is no fluid to run out of and for that fact more reliable, and iv heard of an L67 running 14psi non cooled, and then acheiving more power on 10psi with a2a intercooler. IMO, and also in alot of other peoples experience, an intercooler is the easiest improvement on a boosted setup. and unless the turbo/supercharger is horribly innefficient(spelling?) and running mega boost, it wont be that laggy and wont get too hot that a cooler cant deal with it.

and on top of that, if response is an issue, just run 2.25/2.5 inch cooler piping instead of 3inch and/or a smaller turbo and/or better designed/smaller id hot piping

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Arent these holes in the picture where the cross bolts go in for the main caps ?