Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommend a diesel car?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi fellas,

Long story short. Left Saudi Arabia, now in Jordan for college, spending the next 6 years here. VZ Exec stays in Saudi due to the expensive prices of 95 RON petrol here, as well as several other complications that completely shut out the idea of bringing my VZ into Jordan.

Now its quite likely that I won't depend on public transportation for the rest of my college years... without going mad at least. I'll probably end up selling my VZ to get the money for a car... diesel is cheaper than petrol here, and my route to college is a nice long stretch of highway (another thumbs-up for diesel, even more economical on a long highway, as far as I know).

Can you please recommend a diesel car? Not thinking of getting a new one, too expensive... something used, maybe pre-2000... I'm assuming all diesel cars these days are turbo-diesel... that right?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just curious, how much is petrol over there?

I was going to ask the same thing. Probably 10c a litre. Breaking the budget right there!

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Not all pre-2000 diesels had a turbo. Not sure of many car that old were diesel except for Rodeo, Triton, Navara, etc.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Just curious, how much is petrol over there?

AUS $1.38 / litre for 95 RON. Only other option is 90 RON at AUS $0.95 / litre... can't think of any cars that would run on that without problems... a Geely maybe? :p Diesel is AUS $0.70 / litre. 95 RON in Saudi is AUS $0.15 / litre, used to fill her up to the neck once a week for less than $10 LOL!

Not sure if there will be any new developments within the next 6 years that would allow me to get the Commodore here... just browsing the alternatives... turbo-diesel seems to be a good idea (cheaper at the pump + highways).

MS56

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
What else is stopping you from bring the VZ through?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
AUS $1.38 / litre for 95 RON. Only other option is 90 RON at AUS $0.95 / litre... can't think of any cars that would run on that without problems... a Geely maybe? :p Diesel is AUS $0.70 / litre. 95 RON in Saudi is AUS $0.15 / litre, used to fill her up to the neck once a week for less than $10 LOL!

Not sure if there will be any new developments within the next 6 years that would allow me to get the Commodore here... just browsing the alternatives... turbo-diesel seems to be a good idea (cheaper at the pump + highways).

$0.15 per litre!!! Fk you Australian government. Ima gunna move to Saudi and build me a 3500hp top fuel engined street car.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
95 RON in Saudi is AUS $0.15 / litre

You do realise, we suddenly all hate you right now haha.

Currently paying $1.50 -/+ $0.10 for 91ron.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
What else is stopping you from bring the VZ through?

1) Not an Arab, so I can't simply drive my Saudi-registered Commodore into Jordan.
2) If I were to bring the car in, I'd have to give it a Jordanian registration, number plates and all... costs a fortune, nearly the price of another car... not doing so will get me jailed lol.
3) Jordan has very high incidinces of car theft... its so common its considered a "petty crime"!
4) The "expensive" price of 95 RON