Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Fuel for Vy to increase fuel economy

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hi Everyone.

Just wondering if anyone uses premium unleaded (95 octane) or maybe even the shell's V Power with 98 ethanol in there vy commodore? Does it provide more kms than if you were to fill it up with regular unleaded (91 octane)?

Also, has anybody used the crappy e10 ethonol unleaded fuel and if so what performance does it output and does it provide a sufficent amount of kms?

There's a questions of curiosity and i'm interested in finding out some answers

Cheers to all

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
i started using 95 in my vy a few weeks ago,it did go a little bit better,nothing major but fuel economy was also a bit better. as for e10,i refuse to use that crap unless i really have to

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
All premium should be ~98RON .. standard at ~91RON and some service stations offer an inbetween at 95RON But all premium should be 98.
Try running the 98RON, changing your fuel filter and running a tank of injector cleaner through, in my vs' that always helped the economy alot.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I use nothing but Caltex Vortex in my VY V6. Seems to run a bit better, slight economy gain and would have to be better for the engine and injectors, also I run a weak mix of quality injector cleaner through every now and then. I would never use E10, ever.

schlompy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SSII ute
Wheels mag did a test on all 3 fuels a while back... dollar per km they're all the same. They got further on the premium(98) and a little less on the e10 but cause of the price difference worked out pretty much the same... Regular unleaded was in the middle.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I reckon E10 does your engine no good, Car manufacturers MUST say that their vehicles CAN run on E10 to meet stringent design/environmental legislation. Maybe a car will run fine on E10 for many, many kilometers, but I will stick to premium, and when they fase out the regular unleaded I will continue to use premium. But each person can make their own decisions, so if you like E10, then by all means- go for it!

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I only use 95 RON or 98 RON premium fuels - usually 98.

I have never scientifically measured consumption when occasionally using 91 unleaded when it was the only one available at the time of filling. However with similar driving the car seemed to use it a bit faster.

Consumption is affected much more by engine rpm used and driving style than the fuel grade you use.

I just would never use ethanol blended fuels.

For those that do not know, this E10 fuel is very prone to absorbing water from the atmosphere, among other problems. It builds up in your fuel tank and in the supply tanks in the gas stations. Eventually the water, and the corrosive nature of ethanol, will cause expensive problems in your fuel system. You will also need more E10 than normal petrol to generate the same rpm in your engine.

In gasoline, ethanol attracts water from the air. If moisture gets into the fuel tank and contaminates the gas(it does because water vapour is in the air) it eventually ends up in the bottom of the tank. If a gasoline with alcohol or Gasohol is used, the alcohol will hold some of the water, loosen up the dirt, scale etc and carry this debris to the fuel injectors or carburetors, causing contamination in the fuel system.

If you have enough moisture in the tank you get a condition called phase separation where the alcohol combines with the water in the tank and settles in the bottom. Phase separation can cause the engine to run very poorly if the injector system or carburetors ingest a large dose of this water and alcohol mixture.

Concerns about the use of E10 were provided by the "car industry" to the Victorian Government in a 2007 submission which can be read here..................................
http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/edi...ub_20_FCAI.pdf

In effect, what you have here is a statement from the car industry that using ethanol causes deterioration of components in the fuel system, among other issues. They also go on to discuss the phase separation issue.

Scientists have also calculated that it takes about the same energy consumption just to manufacture 1 unit of ethanol as the energy able to be produced by 1 unit of ethanol !

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I only use 95 RON or 98 RON premium fuels - usually 98.

I have never scientifically measured consumption when occasionally using 91 unleaded when it was the only one available at the time of filling. However with similar driving the car seemed to use it a bit faster.

Consumption is affected much more by engine rpm used and driving style than the fuel grade you use.

I just would never use ethanol blended fuels.

For those that do not know, this E10 fuel is very prone to absorbing water from the atmosphere, among other problems. It builds up in your fuel tank and in the supply tanks in the gas stations. Eventually the water, and the corrosive nature of ethanol, will cause expensive problems in your fuel system. You will also need more E10 than normal petrol to generate the same rpm in your engine.

In gasoline, ethanol attracts water from the air. If moisture gets into the fuel tank and contaminates the gas(it does because water vapour is in the air) it eventually ends up in the bottom of the tank. If a gasoline with alcohol or Gasohol is used, the alcohol will hold some of the water, loosen up the dirt, scale etc and carry this debris to the fuel injectors or carburetors, causing contamination in the fuel system.

If you have enough moisture in the tank you get a condition called phase separation where the alcohol combines with the water in the tank and settles in the bottom. Phase separation can cause the engine to run very poorly if the injector system or carburetors ingest a large dose of this water and alcohol mixture.

Concerns about the use of E10 were provided by the "car industry" to the Victorian Government in a 2007 submission which can be read here..................................
http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/edi...ub_20_FCAI.pdf

In effect, what you have here is a statement from the car industry that using ethanol causes deterioration of components in the fuel system, among other issues. They also go on to discuss the phase separation issue.

Scientists have also calculated that it takes about the same energy consumption just to manufacture 1 unit of ethanol as the energy able to be produced by 1 unit of ethanol !

Well done Sean, well put and basically just what I have always thought/ been told.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
use a good quality 95RON (e.g. BP) on a v6, 98RON is unnecessary unless you can't get 95RON or like throwing away money and lots of carbon buildup in your exhaust :p

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
use a good quality 95RON (e.g. BP) on a v6, 98RON is unnecessary unless you can't get 95RON or like throwing away money and lots of carbon buildup in your exhaust :p

And the evidence for this is-----------------???????

The supercharged V6 - as in my car - will only produce it's optimum power and torque on 98 RON ( says GM).

2. In many service stations now you cannot get 95 RON as they stock only 3 grades E10, regular unleaded 91 RON and 98 Premium. (I would not put 91 RON in my 4 stroke lawn mower and, believe me you can tell the difference when it's on 95). There are a few servos now that have dropped the regular 91 unleaded rubbish and stock 95 and 98 premium (as well as the "destructive" E10 for people who do not care about their cars). As time passes I suspect more will go that way.