Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red light camera fines

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Gee... stupid red light fines are quite expensive. I think I mita went thru one in WA. Guess I gotta wait and see if I get a fine. I was driving a work 4x4 and thought I could make it but this stupid thing doesn't have any acceleration! Only if I were in my commy :(

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Gee... stupid red light fines are quite expensive. I think I mita went thru one in WA. Guess I gotta wait and see if I get a fine. I was driving a work 4x4 and thought I could make it but this stupid thing doesn't have any acceleration! Only if I were in my commy :(

thats why if i see an orange light and a camera sitting next to it, i wouldnt even attempt to go through it

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
yer true, that would be a smart idea. But I missed the first change of lights then I was determined to get through the second time. I didn't see a flash.. guess we will see. I didnt see a camera.. until I went back to see ... & there was :'(

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
There was an article in the latest SC magazine which had results of a University study from America, which showed that Red Light Camera's were causing more accidents than they were preventing.

Because people were seeing the yellow, seeing the camera and slamming on the brakes even if they're in a position where its feasable to go through safetly, people dont want to risk the fine

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
There was an article in the latest SC magazine which had results of a University study from America, which showed that Red Light Camera's were causing more accidents than they were preventing.

Because people were seeing the yellow, seeing the camera and slamming on the brakes even if they're in a position where its feasable to go through safetly, people dont want to risk the fine

But those crashes would be rear end impacts at 20kms tops, not 60km+ t-bone impacts that are much more likely to kill someone

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
In Victoria it's $220 and three points. Although we are into a new financial year and no doubt all the fines have gone up. I wouldn't know as I've been on holidays since before then.

Easy way to find out is ring your local station and ask. Whether it be issued by police on the spot or from a camera, the penalty would be the same.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
But those crashes would be rear end impacts at 20kms tops, not 60km+ t-bone impacts that are much more likely to kill someone

20km/h tops?I would of said 20km/h minimum, considering the road speeds some of these camera's are on.

You slam on the brakes to stop from going through an intersection and there's a B-Double on your tail travelling at the speed limit, you're going to pull up, they're going to go right over the top of you.

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
20km/h tops?I would of said 20km/h minimum, considering the road speeds some of these camera's are on.

You slam on the brakes to stop from going through an intersection and there's a B-Double on your tail travelling at the speed limit, you're going to pull up, they're going to go right over the top of you.

If you slam your brakes on when there is a b double behind you then your an idiot and deserve to be driven over.

Rear end crashes at lights i would assume involve cars braking but not being able to stop and as a result the impact isnt as bad as it could be. But when people run a light they often speed up (if no camera) and then the t-bone or head on crash is going to be much worse. I agree they may have increased accident numbers but im also sure they decrease serious or fatal crashes. Thats the problem with studies like that, they only make a small amount of their findings public and that small amount just happens to be the facts that support their claims.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
But when people run a light they often speed up (if no camera) and then the t-bone or head on crash is going to be much worse. I agree they may have increased accident numbers but im also sure they decrease serious or fatal crashes.

well thats a stupid way of thinking about it. these fines are mostly people getting caught maybe 0.5 seconds after the light has gone red. in that 0.5 seconds, i doubt traffic has started in the other lanes to cause the cars to move into the path of the red light runner. the person that causes a t bone crash was not someone trying to run the yellow, but someone that was not paying attention, or had no intention of ever stopping

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
If the light is red then you cant go through it. Someone may be approaching the light and go thru the green light just as it goes green and be in the intersection as that person is running the 0.5 second red light. I use do this as i learnt the light pattern but i dont do it anymore as i dont want to be hit by some **** wit who thinks its ok the run a red light, even if its only just red.