Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red Oil Leaking Everywhere.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Definately looks like one of the hoses for the trans cooler in the radiator has let go. They look original by the photos, so they have probably just perished. I recently replaced the hoses on my parents VS V6, and using the double clamps is the best way to go, and I ended up using some 8mm Oil piping for the job.

Don't forget to check the level in your transmission too, probably chuck a bit in before you go driving, and then check the level again after 20kms, and top it up so it is within the 'HOT' section on the dipstick.

Cheers

FREESTYLE_MX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Ute
Just want to say thankyou too everyone who added there helpful comments. It was indeed a trans cooler pipe, the top one to be exact. Changed it over tonite, and topped up the trnasmission fluid. $20 for 2 pipes and 4 clips. Going to change the other pipe on the weekend, so it should all be good. Now just got to clean the oil that is bloody everywhere :ranting: .

thanks everyone, Ash:thumbsup:

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
FREESTYLE_MX said:
Just want to say thankyou too everyone who added there helpful comments. It was indeed a trans cooler pipe, the top one to be exact. Changed it over tonite, and topped up the trnasmission fluid. $20 for 2 pipes and 4 clips. Going to change the other pipe on the weekend, so it should all be good. Now just got to clean the oil that is bloody everywhere :ranting: .

thanks everyone, Ash:thumbsup:

A couple of cans of degreaser will do the trick, just spray it everywhere and leave for a few minutes, and then hose off with high pressure water, and everything will be fine!

FREESTYLE_MX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Ute
I thought about doing that, but what about the electric side of things, like the battery and the wires around there? Should I take the battery out, or is it safe to just start blasting away.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
FREESTYLE_MX said:
I thought about doing that, but what about the electric side of things, like the battery and the wires around there? Should I take the battery out, or is it safe to just start blasting away.

The only thing you really need to keep water away from is the fuse box and alternator. The battery will be fine if it gets wet. Just dont direct the jet of water at any sensors etc, it will be fine if they get wet, just don't flood them.

The only thing electrical near the trans pipe lines is the cruise control unit, and that will be fine. If you are really concerned, just dry everything off when you are finished, and then go for a drive to make sure everything is ok.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
I bet its the power steering pump, mine did the same, it sprayed red fluid everywhere under the bonnet, coz sum o-rings or sumfing like that wore away, i had 2 get a new powersteering pump

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
been there had that
power steer pump rear seals spray siht every where

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If you are going to wash your engine for gods sake cover the oil pressure switch and any other connectors that sit out in the open. I have seen so many times (including doing it myself) water getting into the oil pressure switch and causing the oil warning light to come on. All you need is a small plastic freezer bag. Wrap it around the sensor connectors and if you want use a rubber band or bit of tape around the outside. Dont need to worry about battery and the fuse box is covered anyways, just take some caution. Use common sense, go delicate around the sensors etc. I have cleaned VR/VS/VT/VX engines using this method and have not had a problem when using the bag over connectors. If you dont, and problems dont occur straight away, you will probably end up with hard to find or intermittent faults as connectors begin to corrode/loose continuity.