Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline brakes will they clear?

ti09ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey guys I brought a set of hsv gts (20x8, 20x9.5 sereis 1) rims from wheel king and I love them and now I want some brake upgrades... After some research I'm really interested in the redline Brembo brakes but my problem is will they clear my wheels?

Any help is welcome cheers guys

ti09ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thank you mate ill keep my eyes open for hsv brakes cause I'd rather buy them close to new

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Try and find a set of the big HSV brakes would look heaps better than the redline brembos

If they were brand new they would look heaps better, and yes they look better better given that they have rear 4 spots as well.
But the guy on ebay wants $4500 for second hand HSV Brakes.............

The Brembos are $995
VE HSV GXP / REDLINE BREMBO FRONT BRAKE KIT

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Hey guys I brought a set of hsv gts (20x8, 20x9.5 sereis 1) rims from wheel king and I love them and now I want some brake upgrades... After some research I'm really interested in the redline Brembo brakes but my problem is will they clear my wheels?

Any help is welcome cheers guys
They will fit over the Brembos, like RX2 said as long as they are genuine rims.

I wouldn't be paying $4500 grand for second hand HSV brakes.
Get the Redline Brembos you can get them for under a grand, and lets face it they are sufficient for your car.
If your just after looks get the fake Brembos, heaps cheaper.

ti09ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Nah I'm after the stopping power and for under a grand the redline seem like a good bang for buck upgrade

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
If they were brand new they would look heaps better, and yes they look better better given that they have rear 4 spots as well.
But the guy on ebay wants $4500 for second hand HSV Brakes.............

The Brembos are $995
VE HSV GXP / REDLINE BREMBO FRONT BRAKE KIT

Thats just for older style front brembros only, what are you going to putt on the rear?

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Thats just for older style front brembros only, what are you going to putt on the rear?

He might just use the brembos up front, and standards in the rear like the redlines.

ti09ny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yep just like the redline models... Maybe later down the road ill look at the rear brembos that are on the Cadillac cts cause they for on a pontaic g8 so in theory they'll fit on a ve

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Both the Brembo Redlines and AP Racing HSV Brakes will fit and clear.

A lot of people have mentioned that the HSV brakes will look better.
To be completely honest, if you are buying used calipers, the changes are that they will be scratched up, and not in prefect condition.
The HSV Calipers have the HSV logo painted very thinly on the caliper, and the Logo fades very easily, which actually looks pretty bad as the calipers age.

There is not much difference in stopping power between the Brembo (Redline) fronts, and the AP Racing 4 Piston (HSV) front brakes.
The AP Racing Brakes are better due to a larger rotor, and the rotor having a curved slot (Standard) when compared to the Brembo stock rotor.
But if you are fitting used calipers, then this is thrown out the window, as you would probably want to get a good quality rotor such as DBA4000s

Brembo front brakes (Redlines) used can be had for around $600 to $800, depending on the quality, age and kays of the rotor.
AP Racing (HSV) front brakes only are as rare as hens teeth, so you are looking at $1400 - $1800 for equivalent to the Brembo fronts.

I got my Brembo fronts for $700 which included rotors and pads that had only done just over 10,000Kms.
I got AP Racing (HSV) Calipers for the rear for $700, and I bought new rotors and pads from GSL for around $550.

If you are really interested in how they look, I STRONGLY suggest you get the calipers re-sprayed, fit new vinyl stickers, and add copious amounts of clear coat over the whole lot so as they look good for years to come.
(Trust me, if you are buying used calipers, they ARE going to be scratched up, have faded emblems, and will require a good clean to look "good".

I hope this all helps.