Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reducing chance of buckled rims

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
Hey,

It's been 2 months since I've purchased my 20" gloss black G8s and two of them have already got a slight buckle from craters/potholes which is unrepariable (on the outter edge of the theel) so now I'm up for a couple of new ones (P.S if you've got a pair/set for sale, PM me as I'd be interested).

Anyway, how can I reduce the chances of the rim buckling should I hit another pothole? Can changing the tyre profile and size help on this front?

Cheers.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Not really, but sometimes you can claim costs from damages caused by potholes in the road. The laws vary state to state but worth a phone call.

If its not too late take pics of the pothole, time date etc and ring up your local council.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Nothing you can really do to prevent it, you could run higher tyre pressure because buckles usually happen when the tyre confresses to the point that the rim contacts with the surface.

Best bet is as above. If you hit one, pull over, take a picture and forward details to the council.

Then cross your fingers.

V8Lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V Z SII MY 12.5
I bought some tyre and wheel cover from beaurepairs. $225 covers me for 12 months up to $1000 for structual damage to rims and 2xclaims up to $350 for tyres

They also had one for $430 or there abouts that allows about $2500 for rims and 4x$500 tyre claims (dont quote me on exact figures but its around that)

WELSHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
i buckled one of my gloss back G8s on a pot hole too, tried to claim with vicroads but becasue the pothole got patched within a certain time frame they said they wernt liable, so i bought another full set just incase, so i now have 3 spare G8s sitting in my shed, wasnt easy to get hold of, what are you willing to pay for another rim/s i might be able to chase up where i got my last two sets see if they have any more or can get some if u like?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
Not really, but sometimes you can claim costs from damages caused by potholes in the road. The laws vary state to state but worth a phone call.

If its not too late take pics of the pothole, time date etc and ring up your local council.

Nothing you can really do to prevent it, you could run higher tyre pressure because buckles usually happen when the tyre confresses to the point that the rim contacts with the surface.

Best bet is as above. If you hit one, pull over, take a picture and forward details to the council.

Then cross your fingers.

Unfortunatly, the "pothole" (which is really an asteroid crater) is smack bang in the middle lane of a busy 110km/h freeway zone so stopping and taking photos is out of the question. Thanks for the tips though.

In terms of tyre pressure, I'm currently running 40psi all round so not sure if I can go any higher :(

I've hit some pretty nasty pot holes in my car with no damage what so ever in 3 years. Either your pot holes are worse or the wheels are really **** quality.

I think it's a mixture of both. The pothole looks like it was created by the same asteroid that killed the dinosaurs a billion years ago but because it was late in the evening and was raining, I somehow didn't see it in time :(
I thought that G8 wheels are meant to be "ok" quality but I guess not. I've had BBS and Enkei wheels before (in both 18s and 19s on my R33) and never had an issue whatsoever. But then again, they did cost about 3+ times the price of the G8s LOL

buckled one of my gloss back G8s on a pot hole too, tried to claim with vicroads but becasue the pothole got patched within a certain time frame they said they wernt liable, so i bought another full set just incase, so i now have 3 spare G8s sitting in my shed, wasnt easy to get hold of, what are you willing to pay for another rim/s i might be able to chase up where i got my last two sets see if they have any more or can get some if u like?
\

Hey mate, thanks for the offer, I've jsut shot you a PM :)