Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removal of t5 inspection plate

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
i found out my t5 for my stato was leaking so i decided to remove the inspection plate so i could seal it up again but now i cant get it off or on!:bang: and also the input shaft spins freely now. and ideas?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i found out my t5 for my stato was leaking so i decided to remove the inspection plate so i could seal it up again but now i cant get it off or on!:bang: and also the input shaft spins freely now. and ideas?

Which inspection plate are you referring to??? Is it in or out of the car? Input shaft spinning may mean it's out of gear???

Reaper

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
try rotating the output spline slightly

FusionX

Reaction score
tried it lol...im probli just gonna get a gear box shop to pull it apart and seal it all up so there wont be any drama later on. hopefully they wont slug me to much

Wise idea, as it houses all the gearchange forks. Get something wrong lining it back up and you will be missing half your gears as I have found out before.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
To get the inspection plate back on, you have to disassemble the gearbox.

1) You have to remove the selector housing (four bolts)
2) knock out the slide pin for the shifter socket thing, and remove that with the ball bearing
3) unbolt the extension housing from the gearbox body, and remove that

Then once it's all apart, clean up all the sealing surfaces properly, and shove it back together carefully.

Getting the selector forks to line up properly on the gears is an absolute kick in the backside. I never want to do that again :p

MortonVQ_09.jpg

MortonVQ_10.jpg

MortonVQ_12.jpg

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
In that first picture, it's the THIRD part from the left, the one upside down with the two semi-circular parts and the long thin bit. Those two forks have to line up with the synchros on the layshaft in the gearbox.