Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removal of Welch plugs in vn Calais

damolist24

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive s2 3.8l
First off id like to say thanks to all commy owners you have allsaved me so much time and money since i found this site greatest advice around This is more of a boast than a question but I'm proud to say that I have successfully removed the drivers side Welch plug without removing the engine from my series 1 vn Calais. If you all would like to know how it's quite simple.... I started by removing the extractors and then put all pipes to the side and then get in there with a screw driver(large Flathead ) and a hammer and tap around from below and above get all angles on there u can it took me a while but I got it out they were stock so they were stuck in there pretty tight but the trick is to grind Ya Flathead nice and sharp and slightly tap around the edge you can be rough but not to as u may chip the block but either way saves a hell of a time taking the motor out..good luck toall✌✌✌

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
getting plugs out is easy putting new ones in is the hard part....

damolist24

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive s2 3.8l
I have never done them b4 so i was looking on here and i can find a little bit of info ..along the lines of tapping them in with a rag on a socket... But anyways I'm keen on any advice is there anything you could tell me that might help my venture

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I've always used a round lump of wood to tap them in,also don't forget the one behind the motor,the Tranny has to be dropped to get at it.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
An appropriately sized socket that fits inside the lip of the plug is the way to go. Easier to keep the plug square as you tap it home. Don't forget a bit of sealant just to make sure