Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing alloytec starter motor

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Just wondering if there is any trick to removing a starter motor, or if it is as simple as removing the two bolts and wiggling it out. Would it be easier to remove the extractor? and go in from the top?

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Anyone got an answer to this?? Doing one for a mate this weekend

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Just wondering if there is any trick to removing a starter motor, or if it is as simple as removing the two bolts and wiggling it out. Would it be easier to remove the extractor? and go in from the top?

Disconnect battery
Disconnect cables to starter
Undo bolts to starter
If I remember correctly there is a bolt at the front of the starter as well
Once you get the heat shield off (alloy cover) you will see better
Not so sure though if it has extractors, may be a bit more awkard

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Starter motor - removal and refitting

1 Disconnect the earth (-) lead from the battery.

Caution: On models equipped with the Anti-theft audio system, be sure to have the correct radio code before performing any procedure which requires disconnecting the battery (see the front of this manual)

2 Raise the front of the vehicle and support it securely on jack-stands.

3 On V8 models, it is necessary to remove the left exhaust pipe (5.0 litre engines) and the right side exhaust pipe on (5.7 litre engines). Disconnect it from the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold, then lower it and remove it.

4 From under the vehicle, disconnect the solenoid wire and battery cable from the terminals on the solenoid (if possible).

5 Remove the starter motor bolts.

6 Remove the starter motor.lf it was not possible to disconnect all wiring in Step 4,do so now. Note the location of the spacer shim(s), if equipped. Remove the heat shield used on both V8 models.

Note: On 5.7 litre V8 engines it is necessary to remove the steering rack pinch bolt and nut to give the starter enough room to clear the steering shaft.
7 Refitting is the reverse of removal. Be sure to refit the spacer shim(s) in exactly the same location, if equipped. Renew the exhaust pipe-to-catalytic converter gasket if it was damaged.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
It's a LE0 alloytec v6

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Anyone got an answer to this?? Doing one for a mate this weekend

I replaced one in my series 2 exec, for me it was just that undo the bolts and wiggle it out.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
So just did the job, for anyone wondering. They are e14 female torx, bit hard to get a ratchet in so I used an 11mm ring spanner, 2 bolts for starter. A 13mm for the battery positive and the clip for activation wire, it took me 45 minutes and I am a qualified mechanic also the vehicle was very hot,
Best way is to remove the 2 19mm bolts/nuts for the steering rack to subframe n pry it out till it's out of the left hand catch, This makes getting the starter in and out much easier, I was fighting against a very hot cat, but got it done fine, the heat shield just clips on the starter solenoid with a bolt holding it to the starter. Reinstall it all and connect your battery, happy days

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Good write up, thanks all. Mine's fine, but I'm archiving some of these really good how-to's you all are doing in case they are needed later!