Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VH dash speakers

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Hi All,

I'm looking at updating my front dash speakers in the SLE but I'm not sure how to remove them without breaking anything.

Can anyone help?

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Just found this (must remember to use the search button first)

Step 1> Remove the air vents, The air directional bits just pop-out and then you will see two screws up the top which you can undo and their out, Just makes life easier to get to the wires even through it won't expose much access.

Step 2> The speaker is not screwed in or glued down, the way they are held in place is by two clips on each speaker them come out with the speaker cover and shroud. You have to CAREFULLY prise eachside of the speaker out going back and forth until they start to come out and just keep doing this and eventually they will pop out. It does require some force but don't over do it or you will destroy your dash or the speaker shroud.

Un-clip the wires and your don't, It just take patience and lots of beers!!! I replace mine with Fusion 3" speakers. They are NOT 4" they are only 3" too.

Also you might like to see this diagram I made
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=5362

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You can prise them out with your fingers it all comes out in one piece feels like it's spring loaded in there.
Lift it all up about inch then wiggle side to side untill 2 long clips come out.

Does feel awkward the first few times wondering if anything will break then see those metal clips...then unclip silly little speaker plug.

Paul K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Risking resurrecting a very old thread here, have used the above instructions to remove the grilles with speakers but they are almost one unit. Has anyone been able to prise the 3in speakers off the grilles? I want to replace them with a set of 3in mids I found in a 3 way component set from Hertz.