Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repairing L3 cluster

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
hmm anyone got middle screen for vp? mine is ok but 2 or 3 of the parts of the 7 digit display for a number don't work. so i never know if it's like an 8 or 0 for fuel consumption. not the worst, but i would like it fixed :)

Sometimes can be fixed by pulling it apart and re-assemble. BUT at the risk of killing it with broken plastic.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
If your spare screens have minor bleeds anyway I won't worry.. unless you'll split that VS trip comp up.. which I'm guessing you really don't want to :)

The bleeds in my 2 are only little ones in the top corners, so enough out of the way to get away with.. still, I don't want to put the cluster in until I get them replaced.

Yeh sorry already given away:whistling And no dont want to sell off the LCD's out of the spare trip computer.:)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
correct me if i'm wrong but basically the problem i am receiving would be because of some dodgy contacts somewhere?

Yes the LCD screens connect to a row of contacts. When playing around with several trip computers swapping (small number vn) LCD's for larger on VP ones I'd sometimes have to re-assemble the LCD's to make all the bits to work.:thumbsup:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Yeh sorry already given away:whistling And no dont want to sell off the LCD's out of the spare trip computer.:)

All good mate, I have no idea where to look for them though.. guessing they don't do them brand new any more, or if they do they'd be horrendously expensive..

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
All good mate, I have no idea where to look for them though.. guessing they don't do them brand new any more, or if they do they'd be horrendously expensive..

Tried for 6 months with no luck - only place is a cluster from ebay or wreckers.:thumbsup:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
****! So I pretty much wasted my $100 on this one.

Well not completly. Depends on the KM on the trip computer. If all the gauges work properly and the speedo is not sticky. Very handy to have.

High KM L3 clusters with stuffed gauges & sticky speedo can sell for $30

When buying one just veiw it as if you are getting the LCD's only and the rest is for spare parts:)

Thats about the best spin I can put on it for you.

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
the last one i got cost me $60 on ebay its in the ute now i was lucky its got all 3 LCD's in good nick apart from blown globes and an occassional sticky fuel gauge,i do have the one i got for it originally with all 3 windows good from memory its only got 128 k on it,but the speedo is stuffed, if ya cant get one PM me and i'll see if i can get mine goin properly and ya can buy the crook one to get what ya need.
Phillip :wax:

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Well not completly. Depends on the KM on the trip computer. If all the gauges work properly and the speedo is not sticky. Very handy to have.

High KM L3 clusters with stuffed gauges & sticky speedo can sell for $30

When buying one just veiw it as if you are getting the LCD's only and the rest is for spare parts:)

Thats about the best spin I can put on it for you.

So what you're saying is the cluster that I purchased could have a stuffed speedometer along with the one I originally had?