Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced Cluster and Speed Sensor, still won't show speed - only in ALDL

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
That sounds dangerous lol, but will try (wire up the meter to the ecu instead of using probes).. I should use 20v yeah?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Rather than type this out again I quote my facebook wall comment:

Well I finally figured out what the problem with the speedometer/speed alert is which is stopping them from showing any speed at all, even though the speed sensor is working and putting out the km/h via a notebook through the ALDL cable.

First I checked the continuity of the cable with the multimeter and it was there and strong, so I swapped the ECU with the wives (we both have VS V6s) and it still wasn't working.

Today I figured I would have another crack at it and swapped my cluster over with the wives, to my shock it worked (so did the speed alert). OK problem is now the problem is isolated to the cluster, or so I thought. When I screwed it in it wouldn't work, but it worked when downwards not screwed in. I figured out that when it's in the upright position it won't work and the speed disappears but when it's downwards it'll work.

So as it turns out when I caused that short I actually did burn something out - Holden decided to use little "pins" made out of solder to create the connections in the cluster. I burnt out the pulse gnd "pin" (it probably disintegrated) which is at the bottom of the connection to the cluster (which uses ribbon style surface mounted connections to touch the "pins").

The solution to fix this most perplexing problem is going to be apply some new solder and hope my skills are good enough to not botch the job up completely (in which case the new solution will be replacing the whole connector). In the end I did need the new (old) cluster but I don't know about the speed sensor on the gearbox - at least I have a spare now ^_^. Fun times.

Because the circuit didn't have pulse ground the speedo and speed alert wouldn't show the speed

Thanks for all the help guys!

adrihack

Reaction score
Members Ride
omega australiano 3.8 cd sfi 2000
Friends, I am speaking of Brazil and I am with problem in my vehicle (Omega 3,8 compact disc v6 sfi automatic year 2000) and for what I could verify there in its country if calls holden commodore vt. The problem is the following one: it does not mark speed, to put the other components functions normally (as RPM, TEMP, TRIP, ETC). Already we change the speed sensor that goes in the exchange, however the problem continues. I made the test placing another panel of instruments and the problem continues. When passing scanner it recognizes the speed, to put the car does not function the locking of the doors, cruise control. How functions the signal of speed of this model? of where comes and for where it passes?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Friends, I am speaking of Brazil and I am with problem in my vehicle (Omega 3,8 compact disc v6 sfi automatic year 2000) and for what I could verify there in its country if calls holden commodore vt. The problem is the following one: it does not mark speed, to put the other components functions normally (as RPM, TEMP, TRIP, ETC). Already we change the speed sensor that goes in the exchange, however the problem continues. I made the test placing another panel of instruments and the problem continues. When passing scanner it recognizes the speed, to put the car does not function the locking of the doors, cruise control. How functions the signal of speed of this model? of where comes and for where it passes?

The door locks are probably BCM (body control module) related. Common for this part to fail. The cruise and speed signal are probably related - no speed signal = no cruise.

Did they stop working at the same time?

I'd check the wires from the speed sensor to the cluster.