Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replaced radiator and bypass bung, now coolant leak from timing cover... uh?

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock VR 3.8V6 (Petrol/Gas)
I helped my neighbour the other day replace his radiator and bypass bung, which were the only things leaking. Upon refilling the system coolant started rapidly leaking from somewhere behind the water pump. It seems to be coming out of the timing chain cover almost directly beneath where the loom going to the alternator rests, at the rear of the left hand side of the pump. Any ideas where its coming from?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
He might have ran the pump when the system was low or dry and that's a sure way to kill a pump, the pumps have a small hole at the bottom of the pump that will leak coolant to let you know when its stuffed and sometimes it can hit the pulley and get spat onto other parts of the engine and can give you a false lead. If that isn't the problem the maybe pressure test it to make sure that it is the timing cover.

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
He might have ran the pump when the system was low or dry and that's a sure way to kill a pump, the pumps have a small hole at the bottom of the pump that will leak coolant to let you know when its stuffed and sometimes it can hit the pulley and get spat onto other parts of the engine and can give you a false lead. If that isn't the problem the maybe pressure test it to make sure that it is the timing cover.

I thought exactly the same thing, as I had pretty much all the same things go wrong on my car a month ago (inc the water pump seals - replaced gasket 2 times before i noticed the hole lol). This seems about 2 cms behind where the pump bolts to timing cover. I will attach a pic I found somewhere else on this forum and just marked roughly where the leak seems to be. Behind and beneath that loom. How do i attach a pic saved to my desktop?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
there is a attach button thing on the advanced post.

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that pjdm1980...

Had the flu for the last week, every time I start feeling better - WHAM! here we go again - Almost like a VR these days... haha. Hopefully feeling well enough to get out there and dirty by the weekend.

The pic isn't the most informative, but the best I can find until we start working on it.

Any ideas... anyone?

Thanks in advance.

(thanks to the original photographer too)

Attachments

• water pump.jpg
    water pump.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 9,419
Last edited:

bustadunnydoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wag
Leaking timing chain cover

water jackets coming out of the block on both sides to the timing chain cover , either try a tighten or replace the gaskets .