Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing a Fuel Pump

Nenita

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I bought a 1994 Vr Commodore just recently, a gas tank has been put into the car but as soon as we drove it home it was empty. The car won't start and the ex owner disconnected the fuel pump. I have no idea how to gain access to the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump. Will jacks give enough height to do this properly because the fuel tank might (or might not) need to be drained? Is it worth paying the money for a mechanic to do this job? Is the fuel tank located on the drivers seat side or the passenger side? I don't want to replace anything I just want to connect the pump, so is it just one thing I'd need to connect or will I find a whole heap of stuff that needs connecting? I know very little about cars and this is my first one so I want to do all of this right.
If someone could give me some answers that'd be great.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I bought a 1994 Vr Commodore just recently, a gas tank has been put into the car but as soon as we drove it home it was empty.
Good for you.

The car won't start and the ex owner disconnected the fuel pump. I have no idea how to gain access to the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump.
That is a pickle.

Will jacks give enough height to do this properly because the fuel tank might (or might not) need to be drained?
Yes it will but never work on a car only supported by jacks. Tank should be drained unless you like the smell and taste of fuel.

Is it worth paying the money for a mechanic to do this job?
'Worth it' is relative, not that hard of a job if you have half a brain.

Is the fuel tank located on the drivers seat side or the passenger side?
Drivers mainly.

I don't want to replace anything I just want to connect the pump, so is it just one thing I'd need to connect or will I find a whole heap of stuff that needs connecting?
If its been discconected only then its only going to be the wires on the outside, 5 min job literally.

I know very little about cars and this is my first one so I want to do all of this right.

I would possibly consult a mechanic about the fuel pump setup though..is it dual fuel or dedicated gas?

If someone could give me some answers that'd be great.

Yes it would

aZk.