Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing coils question?

Carl Blance

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX 2001
I'm going to be replacing the coil packs in the next week, should I do the DFI as well? K's are 260000 and I have soaked the coils while cleaning the engine bay ( not knowing the damages ) a few times until I realized why my car was running **** lol

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I wouldn't replace anything that is not broken, they either work or they don't. Why are you replacing the coil packs?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive noticed that these ignition coils can slowly lose their "edge" over time, and this effects how the car runs etc, but because they degrade so slowly, its not really noticable. I first noticed a big difference when I thought Id replace the 3 old coils with genuine replacements from holden. The fuel economy noticably improved, the car started and ran noticably better.. If the coils have the white cylinder numbers marked on them, then they are probably old, as only original factory fitted coils have the cylinder numbers marked on them. Genuine replacement coils are not marked with the cylinder numbers.

Carl Blance

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX 2001
I hosed the car engine a few times to get the crap out of it, and I drove it 5ks to get home everytime. Ever since its running a little rough and I'm pretty sure its burning more fuel then it should. They are factory coil packs too I'm surprised they lasted this long.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
if you think it's wasting fuel then it's more so something like the MAF sensor is dodgey, or the throttle body needs a good clean out. Or there's a fouled spark plug not sparking properly. Definitely much cheaper to replace the plugs than the coils, and far more likely to be the culprit than the coils. Same goes for the leads. Possible a bit of corrosion in the lead connectors. Easy enough to remove from the coils and have a look/clean up.

Carl Blance

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX 2001
well I'm not 100% sure if it is wasting could be just my heavy foot lol, I've cleaned out the throttle body as well, i changed the sparks and leads to decent ones. I got corrosion on one of the coil nipples i sanded some of it off but still. Anyway I just need to know if i should replace the DFI when I do the coils

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Absolutely. Check Holmart online store to check the price plus there are heaps on ebay (just make sure that they're genuine and new) A coil pack (DFI + 3 coils) will probably cost you less than 3 individual coils My Execs done 470,000km and I've replaced 2 coil packs and have been rewarded each time with not only a smoother more efficient engine but also a much smoother gearbox.The auto trans in these things are very sensitive to engine tune.

Carl Blance

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX 2001
Thanks bud, yeah I found a decent one on ebay just a few hours ago

Mrmotox023

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy s pack & vl
hav u cleaned the plenum ? i clean it every 30-40 thousand kms and it makes a diffrence, id only change the coils mate