Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
Had this fault myself over the last couple days, resulting in oil leaking out of it.. Got the switch at trade price, had to buy a special socket to fit it though...

Took 2 mins to swap over.

Pain in the ass.. apparently common fault? dumb spot for it imho.

{{{Riggs}}}

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
travy mate, where do i get oil sensor socket and can i get trade some how? what was the damage trade?{price}

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
this mite sound silly but i have the same problem and its the oil sensor but where the hell is it i just cant seem to find it help any one

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
gen 3/4 its near the oil filter near the sump (90% sure)
alloytec its near the oil filter up the top right of the motor (you will need to remove the engine cover to get to it easily tho)
on both youll need a specail socket to get it off

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
found the sensor for future reference it is at the back of the engine on top of it near the firewall behind the manifold in an ls1 and the service vehicle soon message dissappeared after i changed the sensor for any one who was wondering

dynamicmonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
had same problem twice. Cannot be reset from inside the car. You have to replace the oil pressure sender switch. Apparently there was a faulty batch brought into the country. Holden had the same batch as after market. Had to put up with the warnuing and alarm for 6 weeks !!!

pirate048

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04 190kw
i all so had the same.. took it to the dealer and said going to cost $320..they said it was the oil pressure switch.. went and brought a scan tool max scan gs500 the other day and when i connect it up and to see the error code.. i see none come up..as in there are no errors with the car.. can anyone help... i havent change the oil pressure switch and it does comes up with svs "service vehicle soon" .. and do you need a special socket to remove it..

Ruzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 & E36 318i
i all so had the same.. took it to the dealer and said going to cost $320..they said it was the oil pressure switch.. went and brought a scan tool max scan gs500 the other day and when i connect it up and to see the error code.. i see none come up..as in there are no errors with the car.. can anyone help... i havent change the oil pressure switch and it does comes up with svs "service vehicle soon" .. and do you need a special socket to remove it..

yeh you need a tube socket i forgot what size, i did mine couple months ago and just clear the fault code when done.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon

Repco sell the oil pressure switch socket for $18 I think it is. I had the same problem and fixed it myself by replacing the oil pressure switch.

Oil Pressure Switch - $65 (from Holden)
Oil Pressure Switch Socket - $18 (Repco)

The problem was annoying me for a few months... was so glad to finally get it fixed for only $83. Actually I sold the socket to a friend a couple days later for $10, so the repair only really cost me $73.

As for the price of the oil pressure switch I think I got very lucky. Rang local Holden dealer and this is how the conversation went;

-ME: Hi, I'm after a price for an oil pressure switch for a VZ
-HOLDEN: They cost $279 but we are out of stock
-ME: Wow, really? $279? That seems like a lot!
-HOLDEN: Ok hold on I'll double check the price
(put's me on hold)
-HOLDEN: Ok they're actually $169 but we still don't have any in stock
-ME: That still seems like too much, I was just on the phone with Ultratune and they quoted $120 to replace the switch, including parts and labour, but there is a 2 week wait on the switches
-HOLDEN: That sounds too cheap, they must not be using genuine parts
-ME: Nope, they are definitely using genuine parts... He told me they were waiting on the switches from Holden and is unaware of any aftermarket replacements
-HOLDEN: Ok let me double check again
(puts me on hold again)
-HOLDEN: Well we do actually have them in stock and they are only $65. Sorry for the confusion but that part has been superseded a few times and I had to track it back through the system. I also don't normally work in this department, I'm just filling in for the day
-ME: Excellent, see you in 15 minutes :D

I haven't heard of anyone else getting the switch for any lower than $65... best alternative I found was about $85 off the net somewhere, can't remember the site.

pirate048

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04 190kw
yeh you need a tube socket i forgot what size, i did mine couple months ago and just clear the fault code when done.

did the fault go away after you change the switch or did you have to clear the fault with scan tool after you change the switch?