Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Replacing plugs on your alloytec( Not dial up friendly)

azza221

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 S
HMMMM i followed this tutorial and now the engine is idling very roughly....not sure what to do...?

azza221

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 S
Ok turns out i didnt tighten the spark plugs to the correct tightness (between 16Nm - 20Nm). After getting a decent torque wrench from Autobarn I pulled everything off again and tightened to the correct torque and took it round the block...Feels really smooth now and can definitely notice the extra power the new plugs have given me back...(the old ones were in quite poor condition). :)

airstyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Glad you worked it out and saw an improvement!

The instructions on the plugs are pretty straight forward but in case you missed them, the easiest way to make sure you get a proper seal without a torque wrench particularly on older cars is to do the following:

Do this one plug at a time and don't leave the plug holes in the block open too long.

1. Pull the spark plug out and clean the thread of it with petrol or similar cleaner. You can use this same plug for the rest of the cycle.

2. Use a proper plug socket to thread the plug back in and out a few times of each cylinder to clean the threads in the block, as if there is debris or excess oil in the threads, that can give you a false torque 'reading'. Debris will obviously also wreck the threads if coarse enough, as most blocks are made of softer metals.

2. Once you're happy with the cleaned thread on the block, using only the shaft of the socket extension thread your new ones in with one hand and tighten it as much as you can. Unless you've got rubber for hands and are built like a truck then 'hand tight' is pretty standard between most people.

3. Then use your socket wrench to further tighten the plugs using the instructions as a guide. Most of them say 3/4 of a full turn, some say 1/2. Depends on the plugs.

Doing that should ensure you get more or less the correct torque on the plugs and prevent leakages and snapped threads / heads.

Just some FYI cause I feel generous tonight :)
-Greg.

Ok turns out i didnt tighten the spark plugs to the correct tightness (between 16Nm - 20Nm). After getting a decent torque wrench from Autobarn I pulled everything off again and tightened to the correct torque and took it round the block...Feels really smooth now and can definitely notice the extra power the new plugs have given me back...(the old ones were in quite poor condition). :)

Weeds

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS-V
is there a torque setting for the 6 13mm bolts holding down the manifold at all? im assuming the coil packs are just by feel, just wondering about the manifold bolts themselves

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Good stuff mate. Thanks for the how too.

turbolukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
good stuff! i wasnt even going to attempt doing the plugs in my new vz until i stumbled across this thread! i did mine without removing the whole plenum. just left the front left bolt and rear right bolt in (when looking from the front ) but loosened and i lifted it up from the front with a piece of wood. MUCH EASIER then i thought it would be thanks guys! :boxing::beer chug: factory gas made it a bit trickier but can be easily done!

griffygriff

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ve 2008
HUGE thanks mate

HUGE thanks mate. Job done :)

Unclipping the Barometer sensor behind the manifold was a bastard of a job.

05 vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
That's a lot of work just to change a set of plugs nose well fit 12mm spacer on the manifold while it's has to come off anyway lol thanks thanks moderator for the edit

Last edited:

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
Thanks for this. So many years on and still very useful.

My plugs had never been changed until now (11 yr old car). They were all extremely worn and the gasket was wet around the outside. The gasket was also very hard to get off without a proper scrapping tool.

Also thing now is that be prepared to replace the PCV Pipe and the PCV itself as they will be getting old and VERY brittle as I learnt.