Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the Fan Speed Resistor

rustynails

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Thanks very much to Gromit for the excellent solution (and hi_ryder for more great pictures). Soldering in the replacement ceramic resistors fixed mine. Unbelievably quiet. Fan speed 1 was so quiet I thought it wasn't even blowing at first. Use the steps in the first post then use Gromit or hi_ryder's pictures to put the resistors in the correct position. My fan has only ever worked on speeds 3 and 4 since I bought it. Whole thing start to finish took about 1 and 1/2 hours, most time consuming part was trying to get the cage apart (use a flat-blade jewelers screwdriver). And I had a dodgy soldering iron so took longer than normal. Only tips I can add are:

* the nylon nuts below the wiper arms that hold the guard on are 25mm socket to remove
* go carefully with the thin plastic shielding piece as it's so old it'll easily crack (just seal cracks with silicone if that happens)
* twist the legs of each pair of resistors together before soldering in
* you WILL have to also remove the rubber seal (that the bonnet closes against) as that holds down the forward edge of the thin plastic shield piece - just lifts off easily
* the resistors Gromit described were in stock at Jaycar and still only 40 cents each.

If you have basic wrench-turning skills and basic soldering skills this is prob about an hour's work for most people and the mentioned $1.60 price vs. the $50-60+ I saw on eBay. Since you have to do all the disassembly/re-assembly steps ANWAY if you replace with a new unit, if you have the patience to take the cage apart and solder the resistors in, that's all the extra work you need to do and is the way to go. Thanks again. Wish I'd known about this years ago!

A $1.60 solution instead of $61 for a fan speed resistor block...
(for VS Commodore)

I have had a couple of the filament resistor failures in the past 12 months.
Have now tried the Jaycar approach. (Thanks to the values posted by Kenwstr)

Used two 5Watt ceramics resistors in parallel for each filament to handle the load while still fitting inside the metal cage over the resistor block.

Used two 3.9 ohm 5 watt resistors in parallel to replace the thinnest filament and two 1.5 ohm 5 watt resistors in parallel to replace the middle filament
(Left the thickest filament - it has never caused me any grief..)

At 40c per 5 watt resistor it's even cheaper than ebay and wreckers...

Been running for two weeks like a dream - I'm back in the quiet club.....
Resistor values seem good - close to original fan speeds!
The toughest part is getting the metal cage off...

Example attached...

:thumbsup:

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
Just did the Jaycar resistor fix, it works a treat... thanks to all the posters specially
the guys that included the pics, really worth a thousand words... great forum :beer chug:

nomys

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive wagon & VX
ordered a new unit on ebay then found this DUH!!!
so doing the jaycar fix and keeping the new unit as a spare not that I'll probly need it
why they use resistor wire windings in this day and age when theres a better way is beyond me

thanks for the help the pictures where great and the where to find the stupid thing was the most helpful
I never would of looked under the plastic cover I pulled out the glovebox found the fan, felt around looking for resistor and gave up, then tried google and found you guys THANKS:yahoo: