Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Vt rear welsh plugs,help please

firieguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon
Hi there I have just purchased a vt V6 and it has a leaking rear welsh plug.can these be replaced without taking out engine.I have been told they can be replaced by cutting a hole in firewall.is this true if so what is the trick.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Where exactly is the coolant leaking from? At the rear of the block and dripping from the gearbox bellhousing? Its not that uncommon if this is the case. The rear crank seal on these motors is held by an alloy plate with a gasket which is also used to seal off coolant passages. With time the gasket deteriorates and the alloy plate corrodes and then naturally begins to leak coolant here. Off the top of my head the plate/seal/gasket and bolt kit is approx $150. Gearbox needs to be removed to replace it.
Hope that helps,
Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi there I have just purchased a vt V6 and it has a leaking rear welsh plug.can these be replaced without taking out engine.I have been told they can be replaced by cutting a hole in firewall.is this true if so what is the trick.

I have no idea, but cutting a hole in the firewall sounds pretty drastic and I would think that you would need to remove the dash and heater assembly to gain access to the firewall and have enough room to be able to remove and replace the welsh plug. I think a big hole would be required. I think it would be easier to remove the engine but like I said I don't know and perhaps it is possible.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You want to take probably most of the dash out...to cut a hole in the firewall...to replace a welsch plug.

Your car i guess.

Kal07

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 commodore
Hi I have radatior coolant leaking from wear my transmission meets the engine. My mechanic steam cleans and pressure tested it to 20psi and it did not leak. He advised to watch it as Core plugs may be worn but looked fine from outside. What do you suggest it has been two days now and has started to leak again. What cost am I looking at? Is it core plugs?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hi I have radatior coolant leaking from wear my transmission meets the engine. My mechanic steam cleans and pressure tested it to 20psi and it did not leak. He advised to watch it as Core plugs may be worn but looked fine from outside. What do you suggest it has been two days now and has started to leak again. What cost am I looking at? Is it core plugs?

In that location i'd be checking that your inlet manifold isnt leaking. It's roughly 4hrs labour to do the inlet manifold and about $150
;

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Hole in firewall is something from the 50's, FJ, FE, FC, TO R'N'R the welch/casting plug at the back of the head. T'would be a shame to have to do this to a later Commodore. back then it was not butchery but easiest way to fix what was a fairly common problem. The thought of brass welch plugs was either unheard of or too much against tradition. Brass welch plugs will last the life of the motor. Even longer if you salvage them carefully. Just tap out one side and remove with multi grips

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
yep need to remove gear box